2015 Fox forks

lawman
lawman Posts: 6,868
edited April 2014 in MTB general
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... ine-40663/

Looks like they've listened to riders, CTD now has 7 positions for the trail setting, so much more like a conventional low-speed compression adjust. From memory the old RLC damper had 10 clicks, so it's certainly almost as adjustable with the descend and climb mode as well. Nice to see them giving folks the options of 15 or 20mm on the 36 as well as offering it in all wheelsizes and a proper RC2 damper, will be interested to see the travel options on the 36, could make for an awesome burly trail fork if it comes out close to the claimed weight. I also presume as it weighs pretty much the same as the 34 the 34 has been lightened up a bit as well to distance them a bit.

Also liking the all black 34, looks great!

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I'm surprised they are making a 26" version. I thought they would have just had the 650b version to cover both.
    They're still going to be very over priced compared to the equally good or better alternatives.
  • lawman
    I'm surprised they are making a 26" version. I thought they would have just had the 650b version to cover both.
    They're still going to be very over priced compared to the equally good or better alternatives.

Perhaps the lowers are the same and the different offset for each wheelsize is in the crown, but that's a wild guess! Either way, it's nice to see them catering to all wheelsizes and offering both axle types. Over-priced or not, Fox come on a lot of complete bikes, and with the moving of production away from the US we could see prices drop a little to be more in line with Rockshox or at the very least more competitive.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Hopefully it will be possible with a few new bits to update the 2014 stuff 8)
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    2005 called. They want some pinch-bolted 36 lowers without cracks in them.
  • lawman
    warpcow wrote:
    2005 called. They want some pinch-bolted 36 lowers without cracks in them.

The bolts thread into removable inserts in the lowers like the new 40, so no cracked lowers this time around.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Well the quick ride things I’ve read are promising, which as you say is good as a lot of bikes come with fox. My recent test rides of 2014 left with me impressed with the float x on the rear, but the 34 was not impressive at all so if this comes closer to the pike excellent.

After riding a 36 for a good while the 34 wasn’t that hugely stiff to be honest so seeing the 36 making a strong come back is only a good thing IMO and 32 only belongs on 120mm and below!

Fox are doing alot right for 2015 it seems and will rule on pre made bikes, but aftermarket i can’t see them dropping those premium prices,
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    I REALLY like the new 36

I keep thinking i want Pikes, but then ride my 36s again and realise they are pretty damn good, so i may be in the market for the new ones when they come out. Love the adaptors for running 15mm axles. Why didnt SRAM do that with the Pike.
  • Lighter weight is good, chance to review the price is great but I am slightly concerned that the talk is all about small bump compliance.
    On the 34 at least the biggest problems over the last two years have been with a lack of progressiveness and support at the top end of the travel. The small bump compliance may be an issue for the racers running at higher pressures but for most of us mortals we only lose some of that by having to run higher pressure with very limited sag just to compensate for that lack of support.
    I know the 2014 fork was an improvement over the previous year but Fox is still playing catch up to Rockshox and with a number of other players starting to launch promissing new offerings they need to get this right.
  • lawman
    Festerfeet wrote:
    Lighter weight is good, chance to review the price is great but I am slightly concerned that the talk is all about small bump compliance.
    On the 34 at least the biggest problems over the last two years have been with a lack of progressiveness and support at the top end of the travel. The small bump compliance may be an issue for the racers running at higher pressures but for most of us mortals we only lose some of that by having to run higher pressure with very limited sag just to compensate for that lack of support.
    I know the 2014 fork was an improvement over the previous year but Fox is still playing catch up to Rockshox and with a number of other players starting to launch promissing new offerings they need to get this right.

The 2014 were far better than the 2013's for sure, but both still aren't as good as the old RLC damper, purely because they lack the wide-range of low-speed compression adjust. I found running in the first or second position in trail mode was the way to go, you could always add a little more oil to the spring side if you wanted it to be more progressive, a relatively easy tuning option.

The Pike really sets the current standard, it absolutely demolished a basic CTD evo shock I tried on a SC Bronson, though the factory shocks are far, far better. I've always got on with Fox stuff, but the Pike is so good and so well priced, the new forks are gonna have to be seriously good for me to choose them over a pike, though from a purely aesthetic point of view I think the Fox's look far, far nicer! 8)
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    too little too late for the fox 34's Vs the pikes IMO

they are still way too expensive aftermarket and they have too much of a grip of the OE market - I'd struggle to choose a bike these days as I don't like the current fox air shocks or forks.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222

Do people still pay RRP on fox forks and shocks? I assume its a random number picked out of thin air and ignore it.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Thewaylander

Do people still pay RRP on fox forks and shocks? I assume its a random number picked out of thin air and ignore it.

Does anyone pay RRP on anything if they can avoid it, a deal on fox is still way more expensive than a deal on Rockshox. so it’s irrelevant the gap will remain roughly the same so it’s a fair guide.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have never paid anywhere near rrp on my Rockshox forks.
  • lawman wrote:
    Festerfeet wrote:
    Lighter weight is good, chance to review the price is great but I am slightly concerned that the talk is all about small bump compliance.

The 2014 were far better than the 2013's for sure, but both still aren't as good as the old RLC damper, purely because they lack the wide-range of low-speed compression adjust. I found running in the first or second position in trail mode was the way to go, you could always add a little more oil to the spring side if you wanted it to be more progressive, a relatively easy tuning option.

The Pike really sets the current standard, it absolutely demolished a basic CTD evo shock I tried on a SC Bronson, though the factory shocks are far, far better. I've always got on with Fox stuff, but the Pike is so good and so well priced, the new forks are gonna have to be seriously good for me to choose them over a pike, though from a purely aesthetic point of view I think the Fox's look far, far nicer! 8)

you are right the 2014 was better but as the 2013 set such a disastrously low benchmark, Fox could have used knicker elastic for springs and trifle sponges for dampers and still made it better.

The only thing stopping me replacing with a Pike is that the price is coming down every week here, now that availability has improved. It is well below what I was prepared to pay but then I know I will suffer from buyers regret if I don't catch the price somewhere near the bottom.....and then there are the new Mazzochis or a Boss....just don't know how they will stack up on reliability.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I have never paid anywhere near rrp on my Rockshox forks.

I got my Pikes for £530 and I think the RRP is nearer £700
  • They are some good looking forks wonder if the performance will be back on track with them. And that the price would be a tad friendlier. :lol:
  • lawman
    Even of they have got them back to the top in performance terms I reckon these are gonna be a serious challenger to the 34

10171185_712272578824011_5552762169263486008_n.jpg
  • rockmonkeysc
    What makes the DVO forks so good? I can't see anything different about them.
  • Thewaylander
    Well Lawman desperately wants anything but a Rockshox product see :P
  • lawman

The ease with which they can be tuned and early reviews of the Emerald DH fork have been very good. Nice to see someone else other than the usual Fox/Rockshox domination as well. I'm in no way opposed to RS products, the Pike is a great piece of kit, I've just always got on well with Fox stuff, even CTD to an extent.
  • poah

because they are loved by pinkbike and cost more than fox therefore must be good :lol:
  • Thewaylander
    POAH wrote:

because they are loved by pinkbike and cost more than fox therefore must be good :lol:

ooooo good one!
  • rockmonkeysc
    How are they more tunable than a Lyrik RC2DH or a Marzocchi 55 rc3 ti evo?
  • lawman

Put your specs on :roll: I never said they were more tuneable, I said easily and didn't compare them to either of the forks you mentioned. Like the emerald you can change the shim stacks without completely stripping the fork and it has external high and low speed compression adjust. It could be a very good fork, it could be a really shit fork... IMO on paper it looks decent
  • poah
    lawman wrote:

Put your specs on :roll: I never said they were more tuneable, I said easily and didn't compare them to either of the forks you mentioned. Like the emerald you can change the shim stacks without completely stripping the fork and it has external high and low speed compression adjust. It could be a very good fork, it could be a really shoot fork... IMO on paper it looks decent

so like what Manitou have been doing for years :wink:
  • rockmonkeysc
    lawman wrote:

Put your specs on :roll: I never said they were more tuneable, I said easily and didn't compare them to either of the forks you mentioned. Like the emerald you can change the shim stacks without completely stripping the fork and it has external high and low speed compression adjust. It could be a very good fork, it could be a really shoot fork... IMO on paper it looks decent

So it offers nothing that you can't already get on cheaper forks. Both the Lyrik RC2DH and Marzocchi 55 rc3 ti evo can match that.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Rather more interestingly, the crown to axle height on the new 36 is shorter than the older models.

Maybe I can run 170mm on Tracey....
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:

So it offers nothing that you can't already get on cheaper forks. Both the Lyrik RC2DH and Marzocchi 55 rc3 ti evo can match that.

How do you know it'll be more expensive? Not saying it won't be but give it a chance! From the few details that are about it's more of a Pike/34 rival than the burlier Lyrik/55. People have been asking for a light weight fork with high/low compression adjust and the minute an alternative comes out they bitch about it :roll: Heard of something called an open-mind?
  • rockmonkeysc
    But you suggested it was going to be better than the alternatives. I just wondered how you came to that conclusion.
  • DCR00 wrote:
    Rather more interestingly, the crown to axle height on the new 36 is shorter than the older models.

Maybe I can run 170mm on Tracey....

I've found the same for Fox forks before... their 180mm 36 was the same a-c as a 170mm Lyric.