Westerley evening TT series, Hillingdon Circuit, from 9/4

frank9755
frank9755 Posts: 37
edited April 2014 in Amateur race
One of the signs that Spring is here: our fortnightly evening TTs at Hillingdon circuit start tomorrow (Wednesday 9 April)! The weather forecast looks pretty good for the first one and there are spaces left.

In addition to the main series, we're trying something new this year, which is three time trials for road bikes only. They are on 4 June, 29 June and 16 July - with men's and women's prizes for each one. All are 11 laps of the circuit which works out to about 10.35 miles.

Full details are here:
http://www.westerley-cycling.org.uk/racing/time-trials/hillingdon-evening-time-trial-series-2013

Comments

• willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Great event last night thanks 8) If you could arrange for no wind next time that would be appreciated :lol:
  • frank9755
    Glad you enjoyed it.

We've been trying to arrange an evening with no wind at Hillingdon for a few years now. But for some reason, it doesn't quite seem to happen! Last night it was from the West which, at least, has more shelter...
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I reckon a light W wind actually makes the circuit a bit faster. "Flattens" the hairpin slightly, and you can normally shelter from it on the back straight.

Great series, very much looking forward to the next one!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • frank9755
    Yes, I agree with that.

Tomorrow, on the other hand, looks like being a gentle southerly wind, which flattens the main hill out a bit!
  • tomhowells
    tomhowells Posts: 171
    Hi Frank,

I have a quick question: I have never TT'd in my life, I have a normal road bike. Can I just turn up on the night or do I have to book in advance?

Thanks
    Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
    Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    tomhowells wrote:
    Hi Frank,

I have a quick question: I have never TT'd in my life, I have a normal road bike. Can I just turn up on the night or do I have to book in advance?

Thanks
    Just turn up; will be plenty of other road bikes, will be great to see you there!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • frank9755
    tomhowells wrote:
    Hi Frank,

Thanks

Hi Tom,

You can do either. If you book ahead you'll be sure of a place. Last time I looked there were still a good few places left (but several people often book on the morning). If you just turn up, you should get in (unless there is a big rush tomorrow) but try to get there by 7pm so you get signed on and one of us can talk you through it.

Hope to see you tomorrow!

Frank
  • Would like to give the road bike only tt a go, do you need a racing licence?
  • frank9755
    DanWallace wrote:
    Would like to give the road bike only tt a go, do you need a racing licence?

No, you don't need any licences to enter.

It's under CTT rules so it's not governed by BC. CTT has a 'Come and Try It' scheme which means that you can do your first few TTs without needing to be a member of a CTT affiliated club.

I should say that we would recommend that you have third party insurance (which most people obtain via membership of an organisation such as BC, CTC or LCC) essentially to protect you in case you were adjudged by a court to have done something which caused injury to another rider.
  • frank9755 wrote:
    DanWallace wrote:
    Would like to give the road bike only tt a go, do you need a racing licence?

No, you don't need any licences to enter.

It's under CTT rules so it's not governed by BC. CTT has a 'Come and Try It' scheme which means that you can do your first few TTs without needing to be a member of a CTT affiliated club.

I should say that we would recommend that you have third party insurance (which most people obtain via membership of an organisation such as BC, CTC or LCC) essentially to protect you in case you were adjudged by a court to have done something which caused injury to another rider.

Cheers, gonna book the first one up :)
  • tomhowells
    tomhowells Posts: 171
    Well, I came to the TT tonight & despite the wind & rain, I thoroughly enjoyed myself! Well run, some really nice people & a great cup of tea afterwards!
    As it was my first TT, I was unsure what to expect, but I'm really glad I gave it go now. Even got the time I was sort of expecting! Bonus.
    See you all for the next one!
    Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
    Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT