BB30 and Hollowtech 2

MrCynical
MrCynical Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in Workshop
I know this has been done to death, but I've just got a Dolan L'Etape frame with BB30 shell and I want to fit my Ultegra Hollowtech 2 crankset in it.
However I don't want to use adaptors, like the Wheels Manufacturing or a sleeve, like FSAs.
I see the KCNC and Praxis setups, but they look either heavy or overly costly.
Race Face sell a "kit" which seems to be cups to fit 24mm cranks
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/race-face-press-fit-30-x-type-bb-adapter/rp-prod106657?_requestid=1083475
Does anyone know if a set of road Hollowtech 2s will fit this for width?

Comments

• MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    68mm should fit Shimano ht2 cranks.
  • andrew549
    andrew549 Posts: 35
    That adapter is not going to work with a BB30 shell as PF30 is is physically bigger. I've used the praxis BB and found that it started creaking after less than 100 miles. I've not had issues with either of the wheels manufacturing adapters on the press in sleeves.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    andrew549 wrote:
    That adapter is not going to work with a BB30 shell as PF30 is is physically bigger. I've used the praxis BB and found that it started creaking after less than 100 miles. I've not had issues with either of the wheels manufacturing adapters on the press in sleeves.
    Now that is interesting, normally its the other way round - praxis being the cure to all creaks!
  • andrew549
    andrew549 Posts: 35
    Speaking to the shop mechanic a couple praxis BBs have come back creaking after very little usage so I think they have stopped using them now.
  • andrew549 wrote:

Interesting as well, as the Race Face website states it will fit BB30 shells
  • Sharky999
    Sharky999 Posts: 103
    I used the KCNC adapter on my etape and it went together well, not had any problems yet.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    From what I've read, BB30 frames and PF30 frames aren't the same, so the RF BB mentioned above won't fit your BB30 frame. Basically BB30 and PF30 use the same bearings but PF30 houses them inside a plastic cup. Hence the frame hole that the PF30 cup slots into needs to be larger than a BB30 hole, which just has bare bearings inserted.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • I thought I would give it a try as it seemed to be the most elegant solution, however it doesn't fit.
    It's slightly too wide and won't press in straight, with no leading taper to guide it my local shop and I decided not to risk trying to force it in.