Cutting steerer to size

MrGrumpy
MrGrumpy Posts: 288
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Current bike could do with getting the steerer tidied up a bit, have a few extra spacers above the stem. So requires some cutting. I read somewhere that its also good practice to have a spacer above the stem. So easy enough to do, obviously risky and was going to entrust the LBS but being a tight wad, may just do it myself. Any tips to add ? oh and its a carbon steerer as well.

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I clamp an old headset onto the steerer and use that as my cutting guide. I use a new/clean hacksaw blade with a high teeth per inch rating too. Careful of the dust thats produced as you cut, dont breath it in.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    PX do a steerer cutter guide at a good price, only about a tenner ( http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJWSTSG/j ... -saw-guide ). Better than making it slightly angled IMO.

32TPI blade and a mask as the dust is very fine. Make sure you brush it all away prior to taking the mask off.

The way I did it, was to work out how much space I wanted above the headset and locked in some vernier calipers, put a small amount of masking tape on the steerer and then then marked it with the points of the verniers. That way it was easy to adjust the steerer guide exactly to where you wanted it visually.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    This is one of the few things I let the LBS do. Last time I removed the fork out of the frame, marked it up then took it in. It took them 30 seconds and they didn't even charge me. Unless you are very brave, you do need a cutting guide, which you'll only use once or twice. Even if LBS charge it should only be a couple of quid IMO
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    Wrap some electrical tape around the steerer and then mark or use a template. The tape stops the carbon from splintering.

Have a practice by cutting a piece of near the top at first to get the hang of it. Then if you balls it up you haven't ruined your forks.

Use some fine sand paper to smooth of the edges of the steerer when you are done.

P
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    I use an old stem, or a stem and and old spacer, as a guide and scribe the line, just as a guide. I then use a "junior" hacksaw to carefully cut the stem (carbon), and tidy up with some fine emery of sandpaper. I hold the steerer in a vice to do this, well wrapped on an old towel - wetting it gives better grip on the steerer without the need to clamp it too tight.

Alu stems I cut using a pipe cutter, but you have to be careful not to use too high a pressure otherwise the top of the steerer curls in a bit too much :roll:
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I just put a stem above where I wanted it cutting and used a hammer and chisel. Easy and cheap.

Vaughan_Bar2-748x420.jpg
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • gazeds
    gazeds Posts: 182
    A manual mitre saw, work's a treat
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,719
    I did mine with an old stem and a fine tooth hacksaw.
    NapD's method does look quicker though.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've still to do mine...bought a plastic mitre box thingy, a hacksaw and fine tooth blade. Just need to make sure (a) I cut it in the right place and (b) the cut is square.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Anybody up near my way, would be only too pleased to cut it for you or you can borrow my cutter for the weekend.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    drlodge wrote:
    I've still to do mine...bought a plastic mitre box thingy, a hacksaw and fine tooth blade. Just need to make sure (a) I cut it in the right place and (b) the cut is square.

my old DT teacher always used to say, measure twice, cut once :-)
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    As per above regarding wearing a mask etc for the dust.

I've cut 2 before using a 32tpi blade and as long as you take your time it's pretty easy. Never needed to use the tape to stop splintering, as long as you use a new blade every time and take it slowly it shouldn't splinter. I wrap a piece of tape round it and follow the line of the tape as a guide.
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    GCN YouTube video - http://youtu.be/KuWEBjCmo8U