New forks purchase

janzajac
janzajac Posts: 15
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi I was just wondering if a 150mm travel front suspension fork won't be too much for my 15" Kona Shred 2012?

http://2k12.konaworld.com/gravity_hardt ... tent=shred

I am thinking to buy Fox Suspension 34 Float FIT 150 CTD W-Trail Adjust Fork 2013, for £500, can anyone please give an opinion whether its a good choice and perhaps and alternative, Thank you.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fox- ... prod111129

Comments

• Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Way too much, stick to 120mm max.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • janzajac
    Can you also give a reason for the answer please.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    1: the frame isn’t designed around 150mm fork, its designed around 100mm so going that far would invalidate any warranty and it would probably handle like a dog.

2: 2013 fox just blows through its travel and are truly awful forks if your spending that much pike is the way but again 150mm way way to much travel for the bike frame.

3: save the money and replace the bike :)
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    1: the frame isn’t designed around 150mm fork, its designed around 100mm so going that far would invalidate any warranty and it would probably handle like a dog.

2: 2013 fox just blows through its travel and are truly awful forks if your spending that much pike is the way but again 150mm way way to much travel for the bike frame.

3: save the money and replace the bike :)

and 4: You require 1 1/8" steerer forks from the picture on the kona site. Not tappered forks you have linked to on CRC.
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you intend to overload the frame with longer travel forks, be sure to have private dental cover that includes 'accidental damage'!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    if you are wanting to keep the bike, scroll the classifieds for a good second hand 100mm fork
  • janzajac
    Thanks for the replies, I'm glad I asked the forums before spending £500. I'm really interested in DH, Freeride so I'll probably have to save up for a new bike.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or maybe just forks and a frame and rebuild using bits off the shred?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.