Triban buying advice

lausie
lausie Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
I popped in to my local Decathlon yesterday evening looking at their entry level road bikes and left feeling a bit confused…

I tried out the Triban 3 Red in 51cm and the Triban 3 White in 54cm (the red is now unavailable in 54).

My body proportions are the problem – I am 5’4 but have 31” inside leg. The 54cm felt more comfortable in the leg and for some reason the bigger bike felt nicer, but the 51cm felt more comfortable in the arm.

What tweaks could I make to the 51cm to feel more comfortable in the leg? Raise the seat slightly and flip the stem perhaps (I prefer to be a touch more upright)?

Likewise, would a shorter stem on the 54cm seem like the more sensible option, both bikes considered?

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Welcome to the forum.
    I am about the same size as you and IMO the 54 would be too big, the 51 is often stated as the size required for people of your stature and it can be adjusted for saddle height, for & aft position and stems can be changed for reach etc. The red has better gear changing than the white which has micro shifters IIRC.
    Whichever bike you get have a word with someone who knows about bikes with ref to setting it up for you. :)
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    There'll be people along later who know far more about this than me but for my 2p worth you'll be OK with leg length providing the saddle raises high enough. Adjusting any other aspect of the fit on an incorrectly sized frame is a lot more complicated