Fun fast trail 29er; Codeine, T129, Spectral 29.

Alex-x4
Alex-x4 Posts: 15
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Looking for some advice on my next purchase.

A few weeks ago a demo'd a Whyte T129 Works and was blown away with it. It was fun, fast and confidence inspiring. That was it, was going to put a deposit down but I didn't as its just not me to not spend a million hours of internet / magazine research first.

I then noticed that a few owners on forums had managed to snap the T129 seat-stays at the location of the rear brake weld. Mostly the 2013 model, but this was sufficient to cast doubts in my mind.

Then, after a bit more research on alternative bikes, I came across the Canyon Spectral 29er, hard to discount its amazing value and lately the Onone Codeine also of great spec and value.

My mate has a Spectral on order but I'm swaying towards the Codeine. Thing is the Codine is 130mm rear travel and 140mm up front. Thats moving away from the T129 with its 120mm front and rear. Im not looking for a pure AM bike but more of a capable fast trail bike that will be pedal friendly.

Furthermore the Codeine is a bit porky at 13.77kg. Now i know that it has heavy tyres and a switch to something lighter and running tubeless would likely reduce the weight considerably.

Im rambling now so i'll stop this post. I'd welcome your thoughts on any of these 3 bikes.

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    As excellent as the Codeine looks on paper, it doesn't sound like what you say you need. You've pretty much said it yourself, and On One do too when they describe the general idea of the Codeine as "winch and plummet". Not really what you'd call a fast trail bike.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    The models with the snapped seatstays where 2013 bikes the seatstays have since been redesigned and beefed up with additional tyre clearance at the same time.
    Go for the works i would, but then im picking up my t129s tomorrow and ye i did a lot of homework too, it was only a handful of 2013 bikes with the problem and its been sorted plus whyte are good with warranty claims apparently.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would go for either a Specialized Camber 29 or Kona Process 111.
    Neither are great value but im sure you can find them discounted.
    Both are surprisingly good to ride. A lad I ride with has the Process 111 and he absolutely loves it. He's pretty quick on it as well, even through the rough stuff.