Crash advice

thescouselander
thescouselander Posts: 549
edited May 2014 in Commuting general
Unfortunately I had a coming together with a car this morning. I won't go into the full detail but the circumstances were that I was on a cycle track at a junction across a side road but visibility was compromised by a parked car and a load of school children. As I crossed a car was turning left and since we didn't see eachother we ended up crashing head on. No serious damage to me but the bike is totaled.

I've contacted Ctc who will send me a claim pack but I'm wondering what will be the fastest way to get back on the road as I don't want to get involved in any protracted discussion with the drivers insurance company as I think this was a genuine accident and culpability might not be clear cut.

I could potentially claim off my household insurance on which my bike is insured.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Comments

• macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Glad you are ok. good luck in getting your claim sorted. i hope its quick for you. if it were me i'd pursue it through all available avenues but consider a household insurance proce hike nexy tear if you do claim.
    hope you have N+1 so you arent not pedalling for too long?
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    You won't be able to claim on your house insurance.

Your house insurance will only cover your bike when its not being pedalled. Check the small print.

If you want it insured whilst moving, like car insurance, you will need proper cycling insurance, prob similar to what you get via British Cycling.
  • Just had a look at the policy document for my home insurance. It only seems to exclude pedal cycle damage cover in the event of a collision with an aircraft (???) or when being used for professional racing or time trialing. I'll phone and check with them anyway.
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    I'm not quite sure how the coming together happened from your description, but from this part,
    as I think this was a genuine accident and culpability might not be clear cut.

It would seem you appreciate blame is not clear cut. If so, get your bike fixed yourself and move on.
  • I'm not quite sure how the coming together happened from your description, but from this part,
    as I think this was a genuine accident and culpability might not be clear cut.

It would seem you appreciate blame is not clear cut. If so, get your bike fixed yourself and move on.

That wasn't to say I don't think the driver was negligent. From what the witness have said the driver was going too fast. My point was the driver might claim mitigating circumstances which could lead to disputes and delays. And since we were both moving and the accident happened at a junction it is quite possible a dispute will arise.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the driver was the one meant to give way, he should have given way, nothing apart from any contributory action from you mitigates that, I think perhaps you don't understand the law?

many car insurance co's have now wised up that a quick resolution costs them less than dragging it out, get onto them and see what they say.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • So, the driver is disputing liability as I thought they would but I have a witness who has stated the driver was looking at them rather than where they were going as they turned into the junction.

My household insurance is covering me but will be seeking to recover the money from the driver. I'll give them what evidence I have and they can sort it out between themselves.
  • Mr Sharky
    Mr Sharky Posts: 172
    You are crossing a side road, and the car is turning from the main road into the side road... sounds to me like you have priority (assuming it's the same as for peds). If you've started crossing before the car turned then they should be slowing enough to check for any hazards on the road into which they are turning. An obstruction should make them slow even further to check it is safe, I would have thought (I'm assuming the parked car is on the main road here, but don't think it would make too much difference).
    Hairy-legged roadie ( FCN 4 )
    Occasional fixed ( FCN 6 )
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A cyclist crossing has no priority.....only pedestrians.

It sounds very much to me that spouse lander is at fault, there were presumably give way white lines at the end of the cycle path?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.