Cassette wobble

jordan_217
jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
edited April 2014 in Workshop
I've just done a complete groupset replacement. I've noticed some wobble/play in the cassette, this does'nt effect shifting but is audibly noticeable. Its a 10spd 105 5700 cassette fitted to a Mavic Ksyrium Elites. I have used the Mavic spacer and even tried using the thinner spacer that came with the cassette but I can't eliminate the play.

Oddly, I've refitted the Ultegra 6700 cassette with just Mavic spacer and no play at all! Never seen this before - any ideas?

TIA
“Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    you need to fit both the mavic spacer and the thin spacer.
  • jordan_217
    styxd wrote:
    you need to fit both the mavic spacer and the thin spacer.

Sorry, I have done that, my OP wasnt clear on that part. :oops:
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    That's strange. I have the same setup (5700 cassette on Ksyrium Elites) and as suggested, you should be using both the Mavic spacer and the thin spacer that comes with the cassette. Are you using the same lockring with the 105 and Ultegra cassettes?

My 5700 cassette has a strange washer on the lockring that goes on the knurls, never seen it before, but I left this in place and it works fine.
  • jordan_217
    That's strange. I have the same setup (5700 cassette on Ksyrium Elites) and as suggested, you should be using both the Mavic spacer and the thin spacer that comes with the cassette. Are you using the same lockring with the 105 and Ultegra cassettes?

My 5700 cassette has a strange washer on the lockring that goes on the knurls, never seen it before, but I left this in place and it works fine.

Yes, washer is in place between the last sprocket and lockring. Just tried a different lockring and voila nice and secure. Bit of an odd one, the 105 lockring appears to be fine :?

Thanks for the responses. Finally off out for a ride now :)
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Some lockrings have a little springy washer thing - not sure all have that ?
    I think I've even pilfered one from a spare lockring to end up with 2 to eliminate the play on a cassette at some point in the past.