Windows version hate question...

pinno
pinno Posts: 52,087
edited April 2014 in The cake stop
Can you change your default search engine on Windows 8?

When I click on a new tab, I get 'Ask' - it's pants.

Cheers
P
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I guess so because I don'y get that. I'd have thought it would default to bing because that is even more pants but part of Microsoft. But I use Firefox as my browser. Just tried Interweb Explorer and that doesn't got to Ask.
    I suspect when you've downloaded or updated some software it helpfully decided to make Ask your search of choice even though you didn't f@cking ask it to but the tossers did it anyway because they get paid to do it and you didn't untick the box so you're stuck with it.
    Throw the computer in the bin and buy a new one.
  • pinno
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I guess so because I don'y get that. I'd have thought it would default to bing because that is even more pants but part of Microsoft. But I use Firefox as my browser. Just tried Interweb Explorer and that doesn't got to Ask.
    I suspect when you've downloaded or updated some software it helpfully decided to make Ask your search of choice even though you didn't f@cking ask it to but the tossers did it anyway because they get paid to do it and you didn't untick the box so you're stuck with it.
    Throw the computer in the bin and buy a new one.

You know sometimes Veronese, you talk sense.
  • veronese68
    Only compared to the tripe that is Windows 8.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Every time my antivirus updates, it manages to sneak Chrome in. I usually have to pull the plug to stop Chrome completing the installation and contaminating my system. It seems vaguely ironic that my own antivirus software is effectively trying to install malware on my computer.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pinno
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Only compared to the tripe that is Windows 8.

Everything is relative.

All very well V69, you've given me solutions but not the answer. I am on Firefox. Haven't you got access to a whole load of manuals?
  • veronese68
    I just had a look at the drop down option in the search box at the top and Google is my default, I knew that, but Ask isn't even on there. So some other bit of updated has taken advantage and smashed in your back door without a by or leave. You have been violated.
    Now you need somebody that knows somethnig to tell you how to fix it, my work is done.
    Just call me Captain Hindsight
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    What browser are you using? In Chrome you can change or manage the search engines, even delete the ones you don't want.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Doris Day
    Doris Day Posts: 83
    Install Firefox then Google 'Google' homepage and set as your default page. Remove ask from your files
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Sounds like you may have installed the Ask toolbar, which often sneaks in with other software. To remove, see:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-ask ... nd-search/
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    and if ask proves difficult to remove, open new tab and have shortcut to google homepage.
    FCN 12
  • pinno
    I've been violated through my back door :shock:

I know how to set my homepage. Ta very much but I don't want my home page to be Google,