Santa Cruz Nomad 2014 - 650b Carbon Stealth [image heavy]

Tactica
Tactica Posts: 70
edited April 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Building a durable 160 mm trail bashing machine. Frame of choice is Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon in stealth black (Vivid Air). Some parts ordered while frame makes its way to me. Had to sell old bike to finance, so I've had some (perhaps too much) time, so I hyped myself up a bit with some images of the build. Hope you enjoy this build too.

Suspension Fork
YwUtRjC.jpg
Cranks
ZohuqOL.jpg
Chainring
VXIzCUL.jpg
Crank boots
nrW61qf.jpg
Bottom Bracket
wLV4L3H.jpg
Shifter
7pakrGd.jpg
Derailleur
Byb2kDs.jpg
Cassette
RfA4gD7.jpg
Chain
C2Lz9kP.jpg
Handlebar
hnOO93B.jpg
Stem
McOgej0.jpg
Grips
Ergon GE1 in red incoming
Wheels
TBA
Tires
Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.35 Snake Skin TL Ready Front, Nobby Nic 2.25 Snake Skin TL Ready Rear
Saddle
TBA
Seatpost
RockShox Reverb 150 mm incoming
Pedals
TBA
Headset
Cane Creek 40 or 110 depending on availability incoming

More to follow...

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    It was all looking good til you got to the tyres...

Why on earth would you run xc tyres on a bike like that?! :shock:
  • Tactica
    Good spotting. Must have accidentally pasted the wrong cell from excel. Fixed.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Going super anal with the photos there, haha.
    Gonna be an incredible build, looking forward to seeing it!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Dawesy92
    Dawesy92 Posts: 606
    Can't wait too see this built mate!! :-)
    Should be awesome!! :-)
  • lawman
    Tactica wrote:

Ohhh lord you're not one of those BMW-driving business types that only speak in PowerPoint and Excel are you?! :lol:

Gonna be a nice build, would personally avoid Nobby Nics though, Hans Dampfs are far grippier and will last longer.
  • ilovedirt
    Lots like NN rear and HD front, I've got HD front and rear though - good tyres
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • lawman
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Lots like NN rear and HD front, I've got HD front and rear though - good tyres

True, but I was just thinking how long a NN would last on a bike like that, my guess is not very! :lol:
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I went with the Lawman set up of Trailstar HD front and Pacestar HD rear

Wasn't convinced at first.. But they were brilliant in the wet, felt planted even on wet roots on a DH run
    So I would recommend it

But that should be a great build, very similar to the Bronsons on the forum just with a bit more travel
  • ilovedirt
    ej2320 wrote:

Wasn't convinced at first.. But they were brilliant in the wet, felt planted even on wet roots on a DH run
    So I would recommend it

But that should be a great build, very similar to the Bronsons on the forum just with a bit more travel
    That's what I'm running. Probably a little too much in the summer, but on steep, slick, wet, sticky, rooty, rocky north wales trails over winter, I want all the help I can get.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • lawman
    ilovedirt wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:

So I would recommend it

That's what I'm running. Probably a little too much in the summer, but on steep, slick, wet, sticky, rooty, rocky north wales trails over winter, I want all the help I can get.

Haha liking how it's my set up :lol: I did the CCC2CC on mine and they were great, not the majority of stuff we would be riding I went with what I knew and glad I did, they're a very predictable tyre and pretty fast rolling though, though like ilovedirt says, perhaps a little overkill gripwise in summer, but then you could always a rock razor on the rear for extra speed for the few days a year we can call "summer"! :lol:
  • Tactica
    lawman wrote:
    Tactica wrote:

Ohhh lord you're not one of those BMW-driving business types that only speak in PowerPoint and Excel are you?! :lol:

Gonna be a nice build, would personally avoid Nobby Nics though, Hans Dampfs are far grippier and will last longer.
    Lol. I don't even have a drivers licence even less a car. Tyre choices are a good topic, but our trails around the world vary a lot. Thank god it is not that expensive to try different combinations to find out the best that suits you.

Even though this is a Nomad build, I'm looking at it more like a 'Bronson' build with a little more travel.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Should be good, how are you getting a frameset as I thought they were currently just selling the complete bikes???

Mine is coming end of the month, can't wait.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Tactica wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    Tactica wrote:

Lol. I don't even have a drivers licence even less a car. Tyre choices are a good topic, but our trails around the world vary a lot. Thank god it is not that expensive to try different combinations to find out the best that suits you.

Even though this is a Nomad build, I'm looking at it more like a 'Bronson' build with a little more travel.

Witht he 65 head angle not sure you can really look at it like a longer travel bronson whole different beast im thinking.

But still should be a sweet ride :)
  • ilovedirt
    Tactica wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    Tactica wrote:

Speak for yourself! I guess it's not a lot when you can afford to drop £2.5k on a frame! I can't afford to be trying lots of different tyres, so i'll be sticking to the hans dampfs for a while i think!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • lawman
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Tactica wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    Tactica wrote:

Speak for yourself! I guess it's not a lot when you can afford to drop £2.5k on a frame! I can't afford to be trying lots of different tyres, so i'll be sticking to the hans dampfs for a while i think!

Agreed! It was bad enough shelling out nearly £60 for my Hans Dampfs! I've been tempted to try Trail Kings but since the HD's work so well it's just not worth the expense to experiment.
  • fat_homer
    fat_homer Posts: 470
    Gonna be awesome when built, nice pics as well.
  • Tactica
    Some minor updates. After a long and very difficult decision I ended up ordering Sram Roam 60 wheelset. Also managed to narrow down my pedals and saddle. They are going to be Selle Italia SLR with titanium rails and the new, Race Face Atlas flat pedals. All light and durable. Only thing missing is the seat post clamp sans qr. Probably just going to get a Thomson.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Looking forward to seeing this built.

Get a Santa Cruz bolt seatpost clamp. I have one on my Bronson. It follows the line of the top of the seat tube unlike a Thomson one.
  • Just ordered myself one of these bikes in stealth black looking forward to using it at the forest of Dean and Afan in May.
    I have had a Stumpjumper pro 2007 for years and was considering upgrading to 10 speed and then thought about buying some new 26 wheels etc started pricing it all up and thought by the time I bought all of the latest gear in Xo or Xt it would set me back a small fortune.
    also Ive been looking at all the other offerings and press-fit bbs are just ssshhheeeittte and this Nomad has got a regular threaded bb in a carbon frame well done Santa Cruz thats what sold it for me an the internal routing on the seat post just waiting for delivery roll on end of April,