New Ultegra dual pivot brakes does not have enough drop

f_rederik
f_rederik Posts: 53
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Hi all

Upgrading my old workhorse Kona Paddy Wagon Single Speed road bike, I decided to upgrade the brakes.

I bought a set of Ultegra dual pivot rim brakes, but unfortunately the drop of the brakes is not enough and even at the lowest position the brakepads will hit the tire.

I have tried a number of different front wheels, but from what I can tell the problem must be the brakes themselves and my conclusion is that the fork / brake combination is simply not compatible.

Does this make sense?

What is the easiest solution? Continue down the road of upgrading and buy a new fork? If so, how do I ensure that I get the correctly spaced fork compatible with the Ultegra brakes?

Thanks for any ideas and assistance :)

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You probably need a 57mm 'deep drop' brake - lots of options here:
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes-calip ... pg1/#page=

If you want to run tyres bigger than 25-28mm, you don't really have a choice.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • f_rederik
    Thanks Monty Dog.

If I was to get another fork that would fit the brakes (since I've bought the brakes and wouldn't mind upgrading the fork), how would I make sure I bought the correct fork?
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    A lot easier to sell / return the brakes and buy long drops?
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Stop messing around and just buy some shimano r650 (56.99 pair) or r451 (25.99 pair) from ribble. Don't bother with the tektro's get these, top build quality and materials so no rusty springs etc.
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Stop messing around and just buy some shimano r650 (56.99 pair).
    This^
    I have a Paddy Wagon and it needs long drops because of the tyre and mudguard clearance that frame/fork combo gives. R650's are Ultegra level and awesome anyway, R650's are what I run on the front of mine.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Stop messing around and just buy some shimano r650 (56.99 pair) or r451 (25.99 pair) from ribble. Don't bother with the tektro's get these, top build quality and materials so no rusty springs etc.

Amen.

Don't mess about with changing forks and all the hassles that brings for no gain other than being able to use some brakes you currently have. If the brakes are almost new, you'll get some good money for them no doubt.
  • f_rederik
    Cheers people for your input and clear advise ;)

I know it seems silly to want to upgrade the fork just to avoid returning the brakes... I was just trying to save on the shipping (GBP20) from Norway and back to Wiggle :) Serves me right for 'saving money' and shopping online...