Hub identification??

bailsofhay
bailsofhay Posts: 191
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,
I just got a wheel for £1 from the local dump which has a 7spd freehub body on it and I want to replace it with a 9spd. The problem is I have no idea what make/ model it is. Anyone fancy having a guess or know if this is even remotely possible? Here is some pics but they have no distinguishing marks so this may be a long shot.
freehubSide2.jpg
DiskSide2.jpg
profile2.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Looks like a cheap formula hub.

TBH put it on ebay and get a suitable one.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bailsofhay
    Yeah that thought has crossed my mind though if it was easily identifiable it would make a great winter wheel on the cheap as whoever had it last either never rode it or took really good care of it as the internals are near perfect.
  • bailsofhay
    Just looked at the formula site and it looks like it is the DC22 hub so thank you for pointing the way. Looking at how much a replacement would cost though it will be going on ebay.
  • nicklouse
    bailsofhay wrote:
    Yeah that thought has crossed my mind though if it was easily identifiable it would make a great winter wheel on the cheap as whoever had it last either never rode it or took really good care of it as the internals are near perfect.
    Great winter wheel with spokes that will rust.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • bailsofhay
    They have some fine whitish corrosion on them already but no rust whatsoever, not particularly pretty but not compromised I do however see your point.
  • rfretwell
    rfretwell Posts: 30
    If it cost you a quid, what does it matter whether it rusts or not - ignore the misery-guts, cycling is double the fun when the parts cost next to nowt.

I paid the outrageous sum of £7.50 for a wheel c/w 7-speed free-hub and the advice I got was that the dishing on a 7-speed wheel is not compatible with 8 - 11 speed free-hub length.
  • bailsofhay
    We in the fens know how do things on the cheap. :wink: That pound also included a set of eXotic rigid forks which looked good at the time but when I got home I realized they were slightly twisted( like 2mm out).

Did you end up re-dishing/ using it? Looked at a couple tutorials and they seemed to imply I may be slightly out of my depth.
  • nicklouse
    bailsofhay wrote:
    They have some fine whitish corrosion on them already but no rust whatsoever, not particularly pretty but not compromised I do however see your point.
    That is the zinc coating on the carbon steel spokes.

Not strong. And very prone to rusting.

Have fun.
  • rfretwell
    rfretwell Posts: 30
    bailsofhay wrote:
    We in the fens know how do things on the cheap. :wink: That pound also included a set of eXotic rigid forks which looked good at the time but when I got home I realized they were slightly twisted( like 2mm out).

Did you end up re-dishing/ using it? Looked at a couple tutorials and they seemed to imply I may be slightly out of my depth.

No. Like you, it's beyond my skills and too much time/trouble/money to have it done elsewhere so I cleaned the freehub internals, re-greased and used it. 2 x 7 has to do for the moment.