buying new bike

andyenobs
andyenobs Posts: 6
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
I have just ordered a Giant XTC Advanced 27.5 2 for what a lot of people would say was a lot of money. My present bike is a 2011 Genesis Core 30 which has been great and I have had no complaints with it.
But the fact is I am getting older and I fancied more of a x country style bike that was lighter and quicker and this could well be the last bike I buy.
There don't appear to be any reviews on this bike but I felt Giant have a good reputation so have I made a good choice ? Any opinions would be appreciated.
Andyenobs

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Excellent bike. Effortless speed. Super sharp handling.
    I enjoyed mine but I was a bit too enthusiastic riding it and broke the frame (entirely my fault).
    To be honest I would have gone for the 29er model.
  • Thanks for that Rockmonkey SC. Its nice to know you thought it was good. I did think about full suspension but to be honest I reckon you lose a lot of energy with the rear suspension. However on what I'm reading now it looks like the 27.5 size wheel is expected to be the one that is here to stay. Giant has embraced it and is cutting down on 29ers and it looks like 26's will soon be dead.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    26 and 29 will be around for years. There are lots of manufacturers who are going to keep making 29ers because of their advantage for xc racing and popularity for hardtails. Specialized in particular have invested a lot in 29" bikes, they are even using a couple of them in the South African DH world cup round.
    26 won't die anytime soon because of the huge numbers in use. They are still beating 27.5 on the harshest downhill tracks as well.
  • Maybe I stand corrected we will have to wait and see.