Any legal types here?

wannabecyclist
wannabecyclist Posts: 149
edited April 2014 in The cake stop
Just wanted to see where I stand. I was previously a member of a company called the Debt Resolution Forum. My membership expired and I applied to see if I could start again. Once they came back to me and said I could I had already decided I did not wish to go ahead and told them so over the phone.

Today I received a credit note asking for a payment of £72 for membership not taken up. Is this allowed and if I do not pay what happens, can they keep adding charges to the account until I give in?

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Well according to their website "The Debt Resolution Forum promotes professional standards for resolving debtors' financial problems" so I'd just tell them that by paying this it will result in debt therefore creating further financial problems :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • I am tempted, but they know that I know how the system works so will probably ask me for proof of my debts and I am not in debt.

Can't believe you can be charged for a membership you didn't even take out!
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    You should ask them for a copy of their membership terms & conditions and see what if anything it says about cancelling membership. If it doesn't then you might have grounds for an unfair contract clause.........I am not a lawyer
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    I take it you have contacted them to ask WTF is going on. You have, haven't you?