RockShox Sektor Silver Air...

Angus Young
Angus Young Posts: 3,063
edited May 2014 in MTB general
On the Process 134 page at Konaworld the front fork is described as a RockShox Sektor Silver Air 140mm QR15 Tapered.

http://www.konaworld.com/process_134.cfm

Yet, on the Rockshox site, they only list the RL, R and TK.

https://www.sram.com/rockshox/family/sektor

So, what's fitted to the process?

Forks are so confusing!
All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607

Comments

• jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    from what i can work out from the internet the silver part of the name means it has steel stantions, so i think its going to be a tk
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Im sure the one in my local shop has an RL and I thought it had aluminium stanchions but maybe I was wrong.
    Phone your friendly local Kona dealer.
  • jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    http://s.wiggle.co.uk/images/kona-process134-review.pdf

this is where i got the bit about steel stantions from, its also the same for the recon range
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • Angus Young
    Thanks. I was trying to pin down which one so I could get the weight on it. Just trying to figure out how I might put a 134 on a diet.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You will not find the fork on the RS Aftermarket forks list. It will be a Kona only build.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Sektor Silver is an OE fork, not available after market. It has all the damper varieties, but Kona haven't listed it - almost undoubtedly the TK as I can see no Motion Control sticker. Weight of it is going to be 5lbs at least.
  • Angus Young
    nicklouse wrote:
    You will not find the fork on the RS Aftermarket forks list. It will be a Kona only build.
    supersonic wrote:
    The Sektor Silver is an OE fork, not available after market. It has all the damper varieties, but Kona haven't listed it - almost undoubtedly the TK as I can see no Motion Control sticker. Weight of it is going to be 5lbs at least.

So about a pound more than a Pike, then? (Assuming, of course, that a Pike would be suitable).
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    nicklouse wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

So about a pound more than a Pike, then? (Assuming, of course, that a Pike would be suitable).

A 140mm pike would be sweet on a Process, I can't wait to see the carbon version!
  • Angus Young
    edited April 2014
    supersonic wrote:

Maybe not. The air version of the TK is listed at 1824g, about 4lbs. So somewhere around the weight of a Pike.
  • supersonic
    But that has alu stanchions. The steel stanchions will add quite a bit more onto that. Also weight is for the QR version. the tapered steerer, if alu, will drop a bit off though.
  • Angus Young
    Sorry, I'm not following, how do you know they have steel instead of Alu?
  • supersonic
    Sektor Silver has steel stanchions. That is what the 'silver' bit means.
  • Angus Young
    Ah, O.K. Thanks.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    jfry94 wrote:
    from what i can work out from the internet the silver part of the name means it has steel stantions, so i think its going to be a tk

What he said.
  • Angus Young
    jfry94 wrote:
    jfry94 wrote:
    http://s.wiggle.co.uk/images/kona-process134-review.pdf

this is where i got the bit about steel stantions from, its also the same for the recon range
    Maybe not. The air version of the TK is listed at 1824g, about 4lbs. So somewhere around the weight of a Pike.
    supersonic wrote:
    But that has alu stanchions. The steel stanchions will add quite a bit more onto that. Also weight is for the QR version. the tapered steerer, if alu, will drop a bit off though.
    Sorry, I'm not following, how do you know they have steel instead of Alu?
    supersonic wrote:
    Sektor Silver has steel stanchions. That is what the 'silver' bit means.
    Ah, O.K. Thanks.
    jfry94 wrote:

What he said.

I'm really not paying attention here, am I... Lol!
  • shortnwide
    shortnwide Posts: 7
    I'm picking up my Kona Process 134 on Monday and had even thinking of how to put it on a diet too.

I've had the shop do some modifications before it arrives to shed some weight:
    - swap the cassette for an XT one (about 200g saving)
    - swap the chainset for an SLX one (about 200g saving)
    - swap the shifters for XT ones (more performance than weight that one)
    - change dropper post for an Easton EA70 (biggest weight loss - 500g at least)

I reckon that lot should shift 2lb straight away.

Next up will be tyres & handlebars, but will do those gradually once my wallet has recovered a bit!
    Not sure how much the handlebars weigh, but a set of Easton XC70 flats should save a fair bit.
  • Angus Young
    Let us know how it rides once you've had a chance to get a leg over.
  • shortnwide
    Will do :D
  • fizik
    fizik Posts: 247
    I wouldn't have swapped out the dropper post
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    The one that comes with that bike is terrible, but yea
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    Saw one of these in my local Kona dealer, and all I could think of was how low that frame is !!! Bit of a weighty beast so good idea losing some weight, with regard to the stanchions they were 100% steel so probably a good place to drop some weight in future as were the wheels !

How does it ride by the way, I couldn't for the life of me see what WMB were trying to say about the DL version :? ?
  • shortnwide
    Let us know how it rides once you've had a chance to get a leg over.

It's still a work in progress, but so far, awesome!

So I've replaced the dropper with an Easton Haven Alloy post, chainset with SLX, shifters with XT and tyres for Specialized Purgatory Grid and Ground Control Grid.
    The bike is now 32lb and I've got an XT cassette and some Easton XC70 XC low riser carbon bars on the way - that should shift best part of another lb, but that's about all I can do now on current budget!
    The bars are the most expensive part, as the bike shop took the original parts and gave me full price and I sold the dropper and tyres easily - not counting the bars the upgrades have cost me net £32, which to me seems a bargain - losing 2.5lb straight off!

And the bike itself is just brilliant - absolutely love it!
  • shortnwide
    Ryan Jones wrote:
    Saw one of these in my local Kona dealer, and all I could think of was how low that frame is !!! Bit of a weighty beast so good idea losing some weight, with regard to the stanchions they were 100% steel so probably a good place to drop some weight in future as were the wheels !

How does it ride by the way, I couldn't for the life of me see what WMB were trying to say about the DL version :? ?

It's great! The suspension is plush and very smooth - the rear in particular is very supple. It loves being airborne and is giving me the confidence I was lacking downhill.
    Put it this way, we have a local purpose built trail here (3 miles in length) that I ride a lot and the new bike has take 2 minutes straight off my times round there, and I'm still getting to know the bike.
    Very happy with it.
  • shortnwide
    fizik wrote:
    I wouldn't have swapped out the dropper post

I know they're popular at the moment, but can't see the point myself - I haven't felt the need to alter my seat height in 20 years, so not for me.
    But its a personal choice.

Can't comment on the one that came with the bike as I didn't even fit it - sold it still in the bag.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I bought my first dropper post a month ago and it's nice to have but I don't see it as essential like some people do. I could certainly live without one.