Garmin etrex

Jon_1976
Jon_1976 Posts: 690
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm thinking of buying a garmin etrex for walking/hiking and probably cycling too. Having never used an etrex before, I was just looking for advice on how easy is to record rides and getting the resultant gpx file from the device to my mac.
The model is the vista hcx, by the way

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    On Windows boxes you plug the etrex into the computer with the USB cable. Turn on the etrex and make sure it is in USB mass storage mode (May not have to do this with more recent models). Navigate to the etrex in the file browser and copy the relevant file to the computer. You could also take the SD card out and put it in a card reader.

It will be easy to set up the device to record a GPX track to the SD card when it is turned on. The instructions should tell you how.
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    Jon_1976 wrote:
    I'm thinking of buying a garmin etrex for walking/hiking and probably cycling too. Having never used an etrex before, I was just looking for advice on how easy is to record rides and getting the resultant gpx file from the device to my mac.
    The model is the vista hcx, by the way

You can either save your track on the unit manually. Or you can let the device automatically save your daily data.

I would encourage you to get basecamp to receive and send files to the etrex.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4449
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    The Vista HCx is decent enough. Have a look for Velomaps and you can install free maps onto it. You could also try Talkytoaster maps for the UK - they'll give you simple car navigation too.

The Etrex 30 is even better - quicker, easier to use and will talk to ANT things like cadence sensor and HRM. And doesn't lose it rubber surround. Unfortunately, mine made a successful bid for freedom a couple of months back. :(