Sizing

markhewitt1978
markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
Thinking of getting a bike for our 2 year old (3 in June). To be honest probably not something she's going to use a lot - she hasn't got the attention span, but something she can have around and be like Daddy.

How do I know what size she needs since we're looking to buy off ebay, but the likes of this http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65607#tab4 doesn't specify an age? She's fairly small for her age.

Comments

• macbikes
    macbikes Posts: 58
    Have you thought about a balance bike?

14" would probably be fine with stabilisers, or even a 12".
  • markhewitt1978
    Thanks! We're open to ideas at the moment, just whatever she would like to play with most rather than any particular strategy to get her riding - she's only 2 :)
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    edited April 2014
    Thanks! We're open to ideas at the moment, just whatever she would like to play with most rather than any particular strategy to get her riding - she's only 2 :)
    Balance bike - certainly.

Many good ones to choose from. Seat height and weight are the critical buying points I think - she needs to get her feet down and you'll need to carry it a fair bit as well. My daughter had the Strider Bike from age 2 to 4 and loved it. She has since moved to a pedal bike - and the skills she learned on the balance bike made it easy - she was riding unaided in under 20 mins (just needing help to start off and come to a stop).

strider-ST4-pink_large.jpg

The key point though is to not use stabilisers - there is no need. Balance bike to pedal bike without ever learning the bad habits that stablisers teach.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • markhewitt1978
    Cheers, I'll look at a balance bike, anything in particular to look out for, are those wooden ones ok?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Cheers, I'll look at a balance bike, anything in particular to look out for, are those wooden ones ok?
    As I mentioned - seat height is number 1. Weight, and of course adjustability are also important.

For seat height measure your daughters inside leg - get her to stand against a wall and then push a book up between legs and mark where it touches the wall!

Known good models: Strider, Islabikes, Early Rider, Likeabike.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • markhewitt1978
    What's the opinion on the likes of this? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wiggle-tour-de- ... kids-bike/ Seems reasonably priced but limited steering etc?
  • We find the limited steering perfect, no oversteering and flipping the bike.

I would not use a bike with stabilisers again, we went through that with our daughter and it was much more difficult to move from stabilisers. Our son, currently 2.5 years old is miles ahead on balance compared to what she was, he uses a basic balance bike at the moment which has wider wheels.

The metal ones are a little better from a geometry point of view, I find his wooden one (we have one he uses from time to time, he is just a little too small for it yet) to be a little bit more restrictive. I also think it would get them used to the transition from balance to pedals?
  • macbikes
    macbikes Posts: 58
    I think the wooden ones tend to be bigger than the metal ones. The smallest bikes are Strider and Puky LRM
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Just to throw in another view, my daughter went from stabilisers to riding without at three. At that age view whatever you buy as something for them to enjoy not a stepping stone to riding unassisted. We bought the little decathlon bikes for our twins, very good, hand fit stabilisers so you can whip them off to give them a go without. We had a balance bike too but they preferred pedals.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Kids vary but it tends to work itself out in the end.

My oldest, now 14, started with stabilisers and rode like a maniac round the park, cornering by leaning on the outside wheel (despite our best efforts). Took ages to adjust to just 2 wheels without falling off every time he changed direction. Now rides a road bike with great control.

His younger bro started at 2 years on 2 wheels straight away without any problems. Never used a balance bike or stabilisers.

Balance bikes are no doubt great, but not the only way to get them pedalling.