Chris King headset finally failed...

bernithebiker
bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
edited April 2014 in Workshop
..after 15 years of use in all weathers on my hybrid MTB (Diamond Back Apex).

Started creaking so stripped it down to find the bearings stuck in the cups. Last time I greased was probably 2 years ago.

Tried to pry them out, but the inner race came away. Out of curiosity, I've put the cups in the oven at 200'C to see if I can get the outer race out, but no joy yet.

So looks like a good £50 for a new one unless anyone has any other ideas?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    American rubbish, my Campagnolo Super Record is still going after 34 years... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FSA Orbit Extreme - as bombproof, half-the-price without the hype.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I've put the cups in the oven at 200'C to see if I can get the outer race out, but no joy yet.

My experience of successfully separating seized components has involved liquid nitrogen, not heat!!
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Mmmmm. I'd try freezing them instead.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,129
    I'd piddle on them but that's just me.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • bernithebiker
    Me-109 wrote:
    Mmmmm. I'd try freezing them instead.

Good tip! Just about worked on one cup, but I'm still struggling with the other.

In any case, I can't seem to find replacement bearings online, so I may have to buy the whole headset anyway. And the cups have suffered slightly where I've been trying to get the outer race out.....

If anyone wants the old set for parts, let me know....
  • bernithebiker
    So found a new CK headset for 51 quid on Ebay, and all went in nicely. And I can use the old cups as eggcups!

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    "All the (Chris) Kings horses and all the (Chris) Kings men, couldn't put Humpty together again…"

:oops: :oops: :oops:
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • zerodish
    zerodish Posts: 4
    The headset and seat post are the only two parts that have not been replaced on my 1996 Mongoose Hilltopper. I estimate 80000 touring miles on the frame. The name has long since rubbed off but I would recognize the name if I heard it.