First Road Bike

OhPascal
OhPascal Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi, I sure this question comes up a lot but anyway. I have had a hardtail MTB for the last seven years and now, what with having a job etc. I never do any cycling that isn't on the road. Therefore I'm finally looking to get my first road bike. I need something is going to be a solid commuter but also be fun for rides at weekends, in addition to the fact it needs to be a good hill climber. My budget is £800 max.
I have already looked at the Ribble 7005 Winter Audax which seems to be immeasurably popular, though I hear their customer service remains crap. I had a go on their bike builder and even with only surface knowledge a Ribble Winter with a Shimano 10spd 105 seems a good choice for £749. However I have been told not to go spec hunting for my first bike as a well integrated frame cannot be underestimated. So any help suggesting some alternatives or in building a well balanced Ribble would be much appreciated.
Thanks !

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    The Ribble is a good choice especially with 105 for £749. However 11 speed 105 is going to be on new bikes coming out late summer, which I suppose doesn't help you just now.

I know it blows out your budget but check out the Planet X carbon https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPUL ... -road-bike £1,000 but you get Ultegra and a carbon frame. (Note it's cheap because it's 10 speed rather than 11 speed Ultegra which is the new one)
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    I can second the planetX although mine has sram not ultegra, the frame seems very comfortable, nice and light, and even running 120psi, there still seems to be a little 'cushioning' from the frame.

It can be had for less than your budget used though.
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Sram?!

Peasant... :P
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2