2011 29er Garry Fisher Trek - Buying Advice Needed

imageek
imageek Posts: 5
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

I've found a 2011 29er Garry Fisher Trek on eBay. It's in lovely condition. I've contacted the buyer to see if he would be willing to sell as Buy it Now and to suggest a price. He/she said they would but to make them an offer.

I've tried to find the value of these bikes online but can't come across anything in the UK. What price would you suggest? The listing is here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gary-Fisher-P ... 19eb37ef13

I'd really like this bike but don't want to pay over the odds for it.

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's a Gary Fisher, Trek (who own GF) are a different make!

Chain is off and hanging funny, may be an issue, may have scratched the frame, who knows.

Value, I wouldn't go over £350
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • imageek
    The Rookie wrote:
    It's a Gary Fisher, Trek (who own GF) are a different make!

Chain is off and hanging funny, may be an issue, may have scratched the frame, who knows.

Value, I wouldn't go over £350

Oh, my bad I didn't realise they were different makes. I did ask if there was any marks on the bike they said frame doesn't have a mark on it. Not sure on the chain. Might have to make a trip down to take a look at it.

I'll make him a £350 offer and see what he says.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Well you are sort of right - Trek bought Gary Fisher about 15 years ago, and carried them on a separate brand, now subsumed into the Trek brand as the "Gary Fisher Collection", but yes, it's not tecnhically a "Gary Fisher Trek" as the Rookie says, we digress.

Hard to really tell much from those photos, always wary of dark, blurry phone photos. £350 seems about right.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    How tall are you - looks small. But that might be the wheels.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • imageek
    I'm 5' 11.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You probably want about an 18", that looks to be about a 16" (using the radius of the tire outside is at 14.25" and that the BB is about 2" below the axles), you'll just have to try it and find out!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The chain is off at the front in the photos. I would be put off if the seller couldn't be bothered to put the chain back on for photos. Doesn't say what size it is as well.
    Probably stolen.
  • imageek
    Offered him £350 and he said yes. Now I need to see if I can arrange personal collection (and an extra £100) but I'd like to see it first just to make sure it holds out.

Spoke to him on the phone seems like a genuine guy. He's got receipts so not worried about it being stolen. Can't believe he paid over £1000 for it :shock: :shock:

We'll see anyway. Thanks for all the help guys. If I can raise this extra £100 I will probably take it.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You sound like the worst kind of eBay buyer.
  • Kimble
    Kimble Posts: 53
    you're getting A LOT of value there! You'd probs want to change the bars for something straighter and get a bleed kit for the Avids as well. but generally good kit all round and the bike looks hardly used. Will most likely need a good service (and that puncture fixed) before using in anger. did you establish it was the right size?