How to clean my shoes and Camelback

Wormishere1
Wormishere1 Posts: 284
edited April 2014 in MTB general
So, having gone through a pretty damn wet winter my Shimano M064 shoes are starting to smell a little like the bogs they have been going through.

The same goes for my Camelback, which is pretty damn filthy and stinky now. Both say words to the effect of do not place in the washing machine.

How do I clean them and get rid of the smell?
Remember Rule #5

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Put them in the washing machine on a cool cycle and use natural soap flakes.
    If you are worried about straps on the Camelbak getting tangled up or caught in the machine then out it inside an old pillow case to wash.
    Make sure the velcro straps are done up on the shoes and don't put them in the machine with anything else. The velcro can rip other clothes to shreds.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Same as JBA - i wash them all on a cold wash (or 30 degrees) in an old pillow case and then let them air-dry.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I just don't wash them, they're only gonna get mucky and smelly again on your next ride...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I wouldn't bother with the washing machine for a pair of bike shoes and a bag - just a bucket with some warm water and soap flakes, go at them with an old washing up brush, then rinse em out with cold water

do the insoles first on their own because they'll benefit from the cleaning the most
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    Rough sponge, sink full of warm water and some soap, jobs a goodun'
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Washing machine wont get the bacteria out of the shoes at low heat, and higher heat can melt the glue which sticks the sole on - have found both due to lots of experience with kids shoes/trainers/hiking boots & my cycling shoes etc

I have some Halo Sports Wash now, which is supposed to work to kill the bacteria at lower temps and the instructions on the back specifically for shoes is to soak them in a bucket of water with the wash. Will try that next time.

Drying is equally important - fill them with newspaper and change it when it gets too wet. This makes a big difference - I am guessing because when it draws the water from the shoes, it take some of the bacteria too - otherwise if you just let the water evapourate, the bacteria is still collected on the shoes and as soon as they get warm/moist again the bacteria will become active very quickly.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Fire.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507

How do I clean them and get rid of the smell?

Hose them down and give them a good dose of Lynx. It will also make you smell young and therefore feel young. Giving you more speed and skill on the trails.
  • Wormishere1
    Wormishere1 Posts: 284
    Thanks for all the tips. Not sure on the 'leave them smelly option', kind of like having a s**t and not wiping as you'll probably have another tomorrow....

Just ordered some sachets of Halo, cheers for the advice, will soak the shoes in a bucket and dry them carefully like you say.
    Remember Rule #5