So who's bought a bike without a test ride??

fat_homer
fat_homer Posts: 470
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Obviously there a quite a few that but from Canyon, Ribble and Rose, but what about the like of Giant, Trek etc etc.

I ask as I'm in the market for a new bike and I'm struggling to get test rides and the one I have had was a Giant Defy that wasn't set up anything like how I'd have liked it, so was pretty pointless.

To be honest I'm tempted to buy a Defy (or possibly take a punt on a Planet X RT-58) and have a proper fit as I'm almost certain that once set up it'll be a great bike :?

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I've never had a test ride in twenty odd years of cycling.
  • xixang
    xixang Posts: 235
    never test ridden a bike.

Got custom made steel, trusted frame builder to get measurements right. Other than that I buy framesets and build myself. not bought a complete bike since 1998 (the steel one)
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Bought a defy from the lbs a year and half ago without a test ride. Had not ridden a bike in 25 years, didn't think riding one in the car park would of told me much.
  • Only ever test ridden a bike once but try to get reviews to check it's not a duffer. I admit that I buy with my eyes as much as anything else.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Never test ridden one.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Never had a test ride either. As long as you're in the ball park with geometry then it can be tweaked with different stem/bars/cranks etc. I think a lot if shops push test rides so as you can come back thinking'wow, what a great bike I must buy one'.
  • fat_homer
    Thanks for the replies, makes me feel a bit better.
    Only ever test ridden a bike once but try to get reviews to check it's not a duffer. I admit that I buy with my eyes as much as anything else.
    That's one of the issues with the RT58, no proper reviews and not masses of user feedback either. Looks nicer than the Defy though.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I have always test ridden bikes as it lets you know if the bike is very wrong for you or a very good fit. Most bikes can be adjusted as needed if the sizing is right. My wife recently bought an XC MTB and after test rides chose a different bike to the one we thought she would have. She preferred the look of it, the way it rode and the price / spec was much better.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Kajjal wrote:
    I have always test ridden bikes as it lets you know if the bike is very wrong for you or a very good fit.

I struggle with this.

If the shop only has a limited range of sizes or space they cannot have every size of every model available for a test ride. If they happen to have your size made up and on display they are unlikely to let you take it for a 2 miles (or more) test ride and may limit you to once around the car park if the weather is dry. I don't that will tell you much.

I've never had a proper test ride other than on a budget end MTB around the car park.

All road bikes have been bought mail order.
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    Never test ridden one.
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    I have only ever test ridden a bike to check for size and being completely honest this has only ever been when the so called bike expert in the shop has told me I need a size smaller than I normally ride. they are never right about this 8)
  • fnq59
    fnq59 Posts: 37
    Never test ridden one.
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    I bought a Raleigh ordered from Wiggle, got a 58cm but if I had of been able to test ride it i would have went for a 56cm, so once you know your size you'll be fine :)
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Only ever test ridden the Foil, but I would have bought it regardless. I can tell if a bike will fit by looking at the geometry.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Grill wrote:
    I can tell if a bike will fit by looking at the geometry.

+1

Also small tweaks are possible with seatpost setback, saddle fore/aft position, stem length, up to a point.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:
    I have always test ridden bikes as it lets you know if the bike is very wrong for you or a very good fit.

I struggle with this.

If the shop only has a limited range of sizes or space they cannot have every size of every model available for a test ride. If they happen to have your size made up and on display they are unlikely to let you take it for a 2 miles (or more) test ride and may limit you to once around the car park if the weather is dry. I don't that will tell you much.

I've never had a proper test ride other than on a budget end MTB around the car park.

Being over 6ft6 I have to test ride to make sure the bike is big enough. The local bike shop is very helpful in this. I do check geometry of the bikes but am normally at the top end of the largest bike sizes.
  • I am looking to buy a new frame to build up, but I can't find a complete bike anywhere that I can test.

It's a lot of money and I am buying it for what I think/am told it will feel like.

A test ride with my own wheels and saddle would be very nice as that would give me a direct comparison. The shop has agreed to let me do this, but only if I pay for the bike first and then get a refund if I don't like it.

Needless to say I am struggling with this approach. I can understand the retailers position, but I think it is the manufacturers should should be putting out the demo frames. Clearly the one I am considering doesn't.
  • Grill
    What frame?
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Kajjal wrote:
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

I struggle with this.

Being over 6ft6 I have to test ride to make sure the bike is big enough. The local bike shop is very helpful in this. I do check geometry of the bikes but am normally at the top end of the largest bike sizes.

That makes it easier to understand.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    The problem is as said above the shop is unlikely to have your size in exactly the model you're looking for, then there is the whole process of setting up the correct seat post length and then correct angles etc, then the bike may be perfect for you but the stem length is wrong.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I've never test ridden a bike before buying one. I'm really short and usually need a XS size and bike shops hardly ever have a demo bike available.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I've never been in a position to warrant a test ride, I don't spend masses on a bike and a short ride round the roads by a bike shop isn't going to tell you enough, best to know your own measurements and find a showroom with one then go at it with a tape measure if needed
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Never - I buy a bike on the frame geometry knowing full well that I'm going to change saddle/stem/bars to suit what I want at the right time when the sales are on.

In fact I've never bought a bike that is current spec - I've always gone for last years and saved huuuuuge amounts of money therefore letting me upgrade to a better overall package than the latest coloured bike and save some money.

Then sell the bits you've taken off and spend that on EPO/transfusions.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Grill wrote:
    What frame?
    Time Fluidity S VIP
  • Grill
    Heavy, but nice. Just check the frame geo against yours and choose that way. The trick with buying a new bike is that as long as you like the colour then you're 99.9% guaranteed to like the ride regardless of characteristics.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    2 yes, 1 no - the road bikes I tested - first one was from a shop - it was the second one I tested, the first was fast but didn't feel "right" - I loved the feel of the second one straight away - plus I was fortunate enough that the stock stem was the right length. The second road bike was from a forumite - the road test was to check that it was all working as he said it was - it was :)
    The 1 no was a CX bike that is the same branding as my road bikes, the shop didn't have it built up but I was confident that it would be right. I was almost right - I needed a longer stem, but sorted that and it's fine :)

My wife has test ridden her bikes to - one on the road and one on the turbo - the turbo was to ensure she was choosing the right bike as she was buying a road bike from riding a hybrid before. a couple of years have gone by and she's now test riding carbon bikes - size may be right, but they look and feel different - whilst shes choosing on looks she needs one that feels right and as she's probably going for a different brand it's sensible to try the bikes if she can.
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    I've test-ridden three and ended up not buying any of them. My most recent five bikes have all been bought online; three of them completely unseen. The one before that came from a shop and I unwisely took their advice on the correct size. It was too long, but not so much that I'd have noticed it in 10 minutes around the block.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    ManOfKent wrote:
    It was too long, but not so much that I'd have noticed it in 10 minutes around the block.
    So far out that a shorter stem wouldn't correct it?
  • fat_homer
    Thanks again for all the replies, pretty much put my mind at rest that it's not a shockingly bad idea.

I know my current Boardman has a 570mm top tube (thanks to some help off here) and run a 120mm stem however I think it may be a tad to long. I've also had a play with the 'competitive cyclist fit calculator' and that give me a top tube length on 555 to 560mm, which is generally what all the bikes I'm looking at have.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Out of all the bikes I own, the one I DID test ride (a Cube MTB from an LBS) is the one that I think fits me least well. The bike that came the furthest (Volagi from California) is the bike I feel most at home on (even before a Bike Whisperer bike fit that made only small tweaks).
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH