Has any one tried these ..

IT66T
IT66T Posts: 377
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys ! , i just wondered if any one has given one of these saddle's a try yet ,,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MTB-Road-Moun ... 0679252674

As you can see it's basically a skeleton and just some times designs like this are either very good or blooming awful so as i was thinking of up grading the saddle on my old commuter and i wasn't after spending loads a money hence the reason for the question and all opinions a very welcome ..

Thanks IT66T..
You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ive seen many similar designs - the Tioga Spider, and others - usually lighter than this. But look at the price... I have not tried one. But for that price I might.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I know a couple people who use them and swear they are the most comfortable saddle they have used. Very light as well.
  • IT66T
    Thanks for that info Supersonic as that's interesting info and i didn't know that Tioga did one so i'll have a look at theirs too ..
    I know a couple people who use them and swear they are the most comfortable saddle they have used. Very light as well.

Wow! that sounds really promising RockmonkeySC so do these saddles get a fair amount of abuse then because if they do then that's a really promising sign of durability :wink: ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I would imagine they are more durable than a covered saddle! Think I might get one.
  • IT66T
    supersonic wrote:
    I would imagine they are more durable than a covered saddle! Think I might get one.

Well that was my initial thoughts when i saw them and i use to ride my brothers old BSA sports bike BID and that had a cheap vinyl seat as standard which i couldn't recommend for long trips as the saddle was well hard :cry: but that is going a short while back now :roll: any how times have changed a little since then and these saddles looked tempting lol
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507

Were all the other saddles they used made of granite with knives sticking out of them? :shock:

If it is genuinely comfortable than i would be shocked. It doesnt look like a saddle suited to any sort of riding that lasts more than 5-10 minutes. I had an "Aeroyal" saddle on my bike when i was a bit younger and i remember the aweful pains that gave me after not very long.
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    They don't look comfy but for that money its definately worth a try!
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Slightly thread stealing, but how reliable is buying from China and Hong Kong? (and Taiwan etc)

Just asking as you always seem to find very nice bike parts for quite cheap on sale from those places but it makes you wonder if its reliable.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    supersonic wrote:
    I would imagine they are more durable than a covered saddle!

Looks like it would come to pieces after a few rides.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • IT66T
    My old Saracen Trekker was reliable back in the late 80's with japanese shimano parts and a taiwanese frame lol ..
  • rockmonkeysc
    They aren't strong. The lads I ride with who use them use them on their xc bikes but not on their dh bikes because they have both broken one or two.
  • IT66T
    Well i don't think i'd worry about them breaking if it only happened when used for down hill as my use is for commuting and light trail use but their again are we talking about racing against others down hill or just general riding ? ..
  • rockmonkeysc
    They're fast lads. Last time I followed them down a red trail at BPW on trail bikes I was riding at the limits of my ability while they were arsing around tricking the jumps and boosting off every little feature. Their idea of a fun day on the trails is more like most people's idea of something a lot more serious and occasionally it all ends with a trip to A&E and broken bikes.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Somebody on here has tried on - I remember it being in the "I have just ordered" thread, but can't remember who it was, off the top of my head.
  • IT66T
    They're fast lads. Last time I followed them down a red trail at BPW on trail bikes I was riding at the limits of my ability while they were arsing around tricking the jumps and boosting off every little feature. Their idea of a fun day on the trails is more like most people's idea of something a lot more serious and occasionally it all ends with a trip to A&E and broken bikes.

Those days of riding like that are gone for me as i'm getting a bit long in the tooth as they say but it's no surprise that those saddles break if your mates rode like that with them on and i suppose if your a fair bit over weight like myself then that will put a strain on them lol :oops: ..
    Somebody on here has tried on - I remember it being in the "I have just ordered" thread, but can't remember who it was, off the top of my head.

Well thank you i will have a look for that thread in a bit to see if i can find it :wink: .
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    It's in the crudcatcher section.
  • rgliniany
    rgliniany Posts: 753
    VWSurfbum has / had one ...... ask him.......
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike
  • IT66T
    It's in the crudcatcher section.

Thanks i'll check there later ;) ..
    cyd190468 wrote:
    General reports are they are very comfy but fail due to fatigue within about 2 years. The guys I know that use them treat them as a consumable like a cassette.

I still use cassettes on the odd occasion so maybe the same rule applies and info very much appreciated mate :) ..

rgliniany wrote:
    VWSurfbum has / had one ...... ask him.......

Cheers mate i will 8) ..
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • IT66T
    The Rookie wrote:

Thanks for that matey and imo it looks a much stronger structured saddle then the others i first spotted so the Tioga
    would get my vote for a bit of a trial run as it's certainly better quality and the seller of that one said he has used that one for racing a couple of times so that certainly sounds promising to say the least ..