Lizard skins shock guard

Prowlus
Prowlus Posts: 539
edited April 2014 in MTB general
I can't seem to find a local store that sell a lizard skins rear shock boot . Evans , cycle surgery , richmond cycles and leisure wheels of hatfield can't even get a hold of it yet they can get the chain stay, headset and swingarm sock boots .
According to leisure wheels, they think the reason they stopped it was the sock trapped grease and lubricant which caused rapid decay of the component .
Is this true ? I used to have one that wrapped my fox rp23 on my cannondale prophet before it was stolen and now that I've got a bike with a industry standard shock once again , I'd like to get extra protection onto the component.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    They are a waste of time and can cause more problems than they might stop.

So a pointless product that has never really done anything positive.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Prowlus
    Prowlus Posts: 539
    So i'm guessing the Lbs was telling the truth? if that the case, would this be better for shock protection?

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Mud ... r_4876.htm

Hoping this would be camber compatible
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Seeing where the shock is on the Camber - I wouldn't bother. It's protected by both the top tube and seat tube.

Plus, it's mountain biking, with a shock designed around the sport. It'll be fine.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Just keep it cleaned and lubed. Better than fitting something that's going to trap muck and grit inside as a lovely grinding paste to wear away your shaft and seals...