Want some handbuilt wheels

plodder73
plodder73 Posts: 326
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
But don't know where to start. Am I right in saying that there is someone on here who builds wheels, if there is could you build something that is an improvement to my Mavic Aksiums for less than £300. I am 6' 2" weigh 90kgs. I would like something to help me climb a little better, whilst I can get up anything it's not always pretty.

I have been looking at factory wheels such as Zondas, Fulcrum Racing, Ksyrium. Will I get better going the handbuilt route. Would like to order this week so contact details of either someone on here or elsewhere would be great. Any other general advice appreciated.

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    what do you want to use them for, hopes on open pros would be a decent start, certainly ~£300 online.
  • jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    edited April 2014
    Use the search function !!!!

Think we need to rename the forum....needsomenewwheels.com !!!
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

New wheels won't make you significantly faster.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Lighter wheels will make you climb faster? It is largely a myth... the rotational pound weight saving only matters as you accelerate, whilst when you climb what matters is ONLY your Power/weight ratio. A pound saving over a 100 Kg rider + bike who climbs at 300 Watt still gives you a 3 Watt/Kg... 3.01 in fact... insignificant.
    If the rider loss 10 Kg of body weight, then the ration would be 3.33 which is significant (and that assuming he doesn't become more powerful in the process)
    left the forum March 2023
  • plodder73
    I think you might be the chap who build wheels are you? So I take it you are saying in a round about way, don't bother your Aksiums are as good as anything for climbing. Just fancied treating myself even if the benefit was minimal.
  • ugo.santalucia
    If you want more reliable wheels, then it makes sense to go handbuilt, but it's going to be difficult to find a builder who gets you a lighter set than the Aksium, at your weight. Of course the world is full of scams and you might find one that promises you heaven on earth and a bombproof set that only weighs 1.4 Kg.
    But if you don't believe in miracles, then you need a 32 rear and you might get away with a 24 front... best option is roundabout 1.75 Kg, which is not far off the Aksium.
  • plodder73
    Many thanks. Will save my cash.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Indeed, ride the Aksium until they've had enough and then get a set of hand built wheels to replace them
  • nawty
    nawty Posts: 225
    All that said, I swapped my Aksiums for a set of Archetype rimmed wheels built by Ugo/Paulo and I am very happy with the difference. In reality there probably isn't much difference in speed although I do now freewheel downhill at the same rate as my riding buddy who bought himself a set of Dura-ace wheels whereas before I was slower, nothing a quick pedal wouldn't solve though. The difference comes in the feel through the wheels and handlebars which feels much nicer (difficult to quantify but hey) and the effect of the wider rims is nice, road surfaces feel much nicer and this inspires a lot of confidence.

Is it worth it? Depends if you have some money burning a hole really so that's entirely down to you.
    Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra
  • bikeit65
    bikeit65 Posts: 998
    +1 for Ugo.
    https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
    Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
    Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I would also say the only benefit you will get over a set of askiums is a wider rim will give a nicer ride. A handbuilt set can be a bit lighter but no by a huge ammount. So it comes down to do you just want a change or run what you have till its dead.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.