Cervelo S3 Wheel upgrade advice please !!

forrester.76
forrester.76 Posts: 9
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi.

I've just sold my TT Bike a Felt DA4 because I'm doing Ironman Bolton and struggle with hills.

Gone back to a road bike and have chosen the Cervelo S3. I'm upgrading the wheels, it comes with Mavic Cosmic Elite S - 2380g.

I'm considering the Mavic Ksyrium SLS C - 1395g

Zipp 60 - 1820g

Zipp 303 - 1565g

Realistically I don't think I'd get the 303's with the deal I've managed to get on the bike but I don't mind paying more if they're going to help me with hillier climbs.

Also changed the cassette from an 11-25 to a 11-28.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Claire.

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    the 303 will be the fastest, but don't bugger yourself paying for them
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    No way the original wheels are over 2kg. That must be the weight with tyres etc. I have an older set and they're around the 1700g mark with rim tape. Not much point in going for the Zipp 60 as they'll be heavier.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Practice going up hills, the wheels won't do it for you.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Hi.

I've just sold my TT Bike a Felt DA4 because I'm doing Ironman Bolton and struggle with hills.

Gone back to a road bike and have chosen the Cervelo S3. I'm upgrading the wheels, it comes with Mavic Cosmic Elite S - 2380g.

I'm considering the Mavic Ksyrium SLS C - 1395g

Zipp 60 - 1820g

Zipp 303 - 1565g

Realistically I don't think I'd get the 303's with the deal I've managed to get on the bike but I don't mind paying more if they're going to help me with hillier climbs.

Also changed the cassette from an 11-25 to a 11-28.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Claire.

Hi Claire,

The complete Cosmic Elite S wheelset with Yksion Comp tyres (210g each), tubes and skewers weigh approximately 2,380g so just make sure that you're comparing like-for-like (either including tyres etc or without) otherwise you may find that you're not getting the weight saving you'd hope for. The Ksyrium SLS C with Yksion Pro Griplink and Powerlink tyres, tubes and skewers will be approx 1,935g complete.

Whilst a new wheelset can go some way in improving your performance and giving you the feel good factor, often the biggest performance gains when it comes to climbing are seen from reducing rider mass and therefore increasing efficiency and your power to weight ratio. As a general calculation 1kg less weight over a 30 minute climb should save approximately 1 minute. There's normally more weight that can be shaved from the rider than there is from the bike and equipment so it's worth keeping this in mind.

Best of luck in Bolton!

Mike Cotty
    Mavic Community Manager
  • Hi,
    I recently picked up the very same bike, the Cosmics, whilst reliable, certainly add some weight to the bike and detract from what is a very quick handling machine. As I have a pair of Campagnolo Shamal I changed the cassette for a Campagnolo Chorus and am now running the Shamals as my daily wheels. The Campagnolo cassette runs fine with Shimano shifters...as for the wheels, they roll well on ceramic bearings (standard with the wheels), light, 1460gr without q/r, tyres and cassette and dependable. They also come with a Shimano free-hub if you are so inclined. My race wheels are Enve 1.45, now they really liven the bike up.

Enjoy, they are a great machine.
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson