Hybrid or mountain bike

lilmisslea
lilmisslea Posts: 7
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Just wanted some advice on what would be the best bike to go for. I have not ridden a bike since I was a girl and now at 36 want to get fit and toned using a bike along side classes I already do at the gym.

I would be using the bike for paths, trails maybe take it over a wooded area when I get more confident as we live by a forest. I am so confused though which bike to go for as didn't realise there was so much involved. The 3 bikes I am looking at are as follows :-

Boardman MX Sport Fi Bike 2014 can get for approx £450
saracen tufftrax comp disc can get for £330
Lapierre raid 200 can get for £400

Advice would be of grate help on the best spec of bike to go for which would be suitable for me.

Many thanks
Leanne

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    The best way to get fit using a bike is to ride it twice daily, to and from work, this makes it a long term commitment rather than a passing interest. Of those three the Boardman is probably the best overall, the other two have better forks if you plan on spending time at mountain bike parks. However, if that is going to be your main use consider a second hand hardtail with a 120mm air sprung fork. If you're not going to be spending time doing MTB red and black grade trails then you don't really need a suspension fork so consider the non-MX version of the Boardman Sport Fi.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • wilshawk
    wilshawk Posts: 119
    I think mountain bikes are only really neccessary if you want to go through very muddy terrain, otherwise they are hard work and slow. Hybrids can easily handle basic off road terrain such as dirt paths and light mud. That Boardman looks like a nice choice, front suspension will handle impacts and knobbly tyres will give plenty of grip off road.