Tacx jockey wheels - poor shifting

paulswilliams2
paulswilliams2 Posts: 137
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Right,

Firstly, I'm fairly well accustomed to gears, indexing etc.

I've got a 1 * 10 setup with a Shimano 11-36 cassette, Zee derailleur, STX shifter and Gore-tex cables which has been perfectly for a year or so. I noticed the shark fin jockey wheels a few weeks ago and purchased some BBB and Tacx jockey wheels (1 for spares). Today, I replaced the stock Shimano jockey wheels with Tacx which were easy to fit. However, the shifting is no all over the place.

When on easy 36tooth cassette cog, once shifter down does nothing. Two drops it down two but nearly into the third one. I can't drop into 11 even though I've unhooked the cable, AND undone the low tension adjuster as much as possible.

I've read conflicting reports of them being good or bad, but with such odd shifting characteristics, I'm not sure whether to preserve with improving random indexing problems, or just get replacement Shimano jockey wheels which have NEVER given a bad shift. I would put the old shark fins back on, but I lost a bit when chucking em in the bin.

Any advise?

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    On my old bike I had tacx jockey wheels on and had 0 shifting issues. Something's bent or broken elsewhere would be my first route of investigation if it was me. You saying the mech doesn't drop into 11 without a cable and the adjuster screw wound fully off (you did adjust the correct one I assume?). I'd be looking at the alignment first.

Are the wheels upper/lower specific or directional at all?
  • @ricardo_smooth cheers for response! I ended up rummaging through bin and found my original Shimano Jockets that are still filthy and v. rough. Put them back on, retightened the cable by hand and shifting is still great - perfect up and down the block. Maybe something is bent, and the float is hiding it, but it just works...

Frustrating, haven't got time to hunt for root cause, need some new Shimano jockies!