i'm tired of thinking about what bike to get!

stevetaylor20
stevetaylor20 Posts: 22
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Here's my problem. I've had one road bike only in my life, a boardman ltd full carbon worth about 1k, it's good don't get me wrong. i've got a lot more into cycling and am starting to do your general races you know, like 100 mile stuff. Comfort is important as well as speed and money!I should say and be technical, i guess i'm into sportives and not full on races...

I saw the BMC Granfondo GF01 Ultegra Di2 2013 for 2,500 down from about 3,500 at evans, which is amazing, has ultegra di2 also. but i read this bike was design for the Roubaix. Now I live in london so obviously the streets are paved with pot-holes in the road for a start, but i read this isn't a really really fast road bike like others for a more road only design.

Do i sound like i should buy this?! Alternatively, any other ideas for max 3k? Am going through forums now..! I was originally thinking about electronic or not but we won't get into that i guess!

Thank you
Steve

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    emx3 di2, superb ride, comfy but not roubaix soft but insanely fast
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    For the type of riding you describe (fast recreational, not all-out competition), your current bike is fine unless there are specific problems - such as fit, or breakage.
    If difficult hills are being ridden, then weight reduction might make a difference.

Is your current saddle comfortable for long hours or riding - if not, fixing that should be your first priority!
    Also, minor changes such as bar tape, gloves, clothing, etc. can make rides much more enjoyable.
    If you have any type of 'tire problems', that's easy to fix.

All the advertising and magazine reviews make it seem that buying a new bike will make riding joyous - and probably so for at least the first ride (if nothing goes wrong...). But after that you'll wonder 'is this really any different?'.

I DO drool looking and reading about the new stuff, but still have fun riding vintage 'old iron'.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • Hey Jay yes you're exactly right I don't need another bike at all haha, and yes buying another would pretty much be a waste of money. Part of me still wants to buy one though!!