Camelbak recomendation

jasondxb
jasondxb Posts: 59
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
Completed my longest ride at the weekend, almost 50k's, the only issue I really had was almost running out of water

I have 2 bottles on the bike, both 750ml,

Does anyone else use a Camelbak or something similar. Im looking at getting a 2L one plus the bottles I have should provide enough fluid as the rides start to get a bit longer

Any thoughts ? Or suggestions

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Do you mean 50km..??? There's no way you need to be getting through even 1.5 litres of water over 30 miles, let alone 2 litres. Unless you're riding in the sahara desert, or something...

Anyway, if you ever get to the point where do do need more, just stop somewhere and fill up. Unless you are in the sahara, in which case there may not be a corner shop or garage anywhere nearby...
  • jasondxb
    I probably should have mentioned I am in Dubai, the route I ride is a purpose built cycle path through the desert, so even at 6am it can still be fairly warm. This weekend even though it had been raining during the night , the temp at 6am was 22degrees by 8am it had crept upto 29 according to the garmin
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited April 2014
    I should have noticed the DXB bit... :|

So you are in the desert. Camelbak may be uncomfortable on a road bike, depending on your position. Alternatively, there are attachments which will let you fix another bottle cage to your bars, or saddle/seatpost - which would be my preference...
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Hmmmm, howabout the vest camelbaks? You could fill them with ice...

Or go out earlier???
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129
    ^^^this

you can get various bottle holders that sit behind the saddle, that would allow you to carry one or two extra bottles

op - what's that route like to ride? i've see a few pictures, but wondered how busy it gets, i go to dubai on business every so often, considering taking my bike and adding a few days when it's winter here
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • jasondxb
    Thanks all, I might try one just to see

Sungod

There are 2 parts to the route, if you ride all its about 88k's in total, organised rides happen every weekend, run by the LBS

The Stick (18k's each was)Reasonably big car park, no other facilities

The Loop( 49k's)Huge car park, bike shop,coffee shop and a small medical centre

Cycle path is in great condition, no pot holes,drains etc. but you do get the odd sand drift

For the more experienced cyclist you may find it reasonably flat, there are some hills but nothing massive

There are some other tracks as well

see here : http://www.dubairoadsters.com/events_sa ... e.html#two
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    You can get a minimalistic 2l. Camelback Classic. I used to use one a while ago.
    http://shop.camelbak.com/classic/d/50270_c_1100_cl_5133
    There is no way such small pack would be uncomfortable. You will hardly notice it's on your back.
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    Imposter wrote:
    Do you mean 50km..??? There's no way you need to be getting through even 1.5 litres of water over 30 miles, let alone 2 litres. Unless you're riding in the sahara desert, or something...

Anyway, if you ever get to the point where do do need more, just stop somewhere and fill up. Unless you are in the sahara, in which case there may not be a corner shop or garage anywhere nearby...

Everyone is different, just because you may not need to doesn't mean others can.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    We use 1ltr bottles when touring. Get a pair but check they fit in frame first.

A small camelback may warm the water when riding. On the mtb i use a big backpack with a camelback 'unbottle' bladder. This is somewhat insulated, also get the neoprene tube covering to stop the water in the tube getting hot.

Not much point trying to take extra water when you spit the first mouthful out every time you drink. this happens to me even on a warm uk summers day. But i do take 3ltr when out on the mtb.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    jasondxb wrote:
    I probably should have mentioned I am in Dubai, the route I ride is a purpose built cycle path through the desert, so even at 6am it can still be fairly warm. This weekend even though it had been raining during the night , the temp at 6am was 22degrees by 8am it had crept upto 29 according to the garmin

In those sort of temperatures I'd not want anything on my back so as others have suggested I'd look for some bottle cages that sit behind the saddle.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Also, you can get far bigger water bottles, especially if you're on a larger frame. My little brother rides with a 1 litre water bottle that looks huge, but on a long ride does the job. That's 1/3 extra water for your ride....
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    Personally I have a CamelBack and have used it in 30 degrees. I prefer it and use it with and without the bladder. I've used the tri-style saddle bottles and they're great.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    I bought one of the Camelbak vests with bladder for long sportives and used it to great effect in the UK summer especially with a tray or 2 of ice cubes in with your normal liquid. this along with 2 bottles meant i wasnt left wanting liquid. a quick google search shows them at £60 and i'm sure you can find elsewhere.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Camelbak-Racebak-Hydration-Vest-2009_24876.htm?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=AdwordsProductAds&utm_campaign=Adwords&gclid=CIuG66Wx0L0CFS9p7AodzwYAuA
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • jasondxb
    Thanks for all the replies

I am going to try the Camelbak Rogue, 2L capacity, small enough not to be to much of a pain hopefully, should give me more than enough water with the bottles
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    I would look at Osprey or Deuter/Source. Nice and easy to fill and clean the reservoir on them,
    the bite valves are so much better designed and last longer.

I use both systems and on my Deuter/Source the ruck sack has a frame that keeps it away
    from your back and this does keep your back dry.

Hope this helps....
  • Doris Day
    Doris Day Posts: 83
    I found Osprey more comfy on the back than camelbak. If you put your bladder in the fridge the night before then pop ice cube in it on the day it will keep your back cool.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Gimpl wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Everyone is different, just because you may not need to doesn't mean others can.

I have to agree with Imposter. Realistically you only need to take in 500ml an hour for a hard effort/hot day. Considering that if you start hydrated you're already ahead of the curve the only time you need to ingest more is if you let yourself get dehydrated.

When I ride in Arizona it's regularly over 40 degrees and I've still never gone through a 750ml bottle in an hour.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • jasondxb
    Grill wrote:
    Gimpl wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

I have to agree with Imposter. Realistically you only need to take in 500ml an hour for a hard effort/hot day. Considering that if you start hydrated you're already ahead of the curve the only time you need to ingest more is if you let yourself get dehydrated.

When I ride in Arizona it's regularly over 40 degrees and I've still never gone through a 750ml bottle in an hour.

I cant say I agree with that, everyone is entitely different, having suffered from severe dehydration a few years ago, whilst driving across the desert, its not somewhere I ever want to be again

I sweat buckets naturally, and work on the assumption if its coming out you need to replace it. I would like to think after living in these condition for the past 10+ years I keep myself quite well hydrated

During the ride in question , after I had finished all my fluids, I knew I was dehtdrayted as I was thirsty and had dry lips, in my opinion when this happens you need more fluid

Anyway I appreciate all the advice and opinioins, and I think the conclusion is I sweat more than most :D
  • gimpl
    Grill wrote:
    Gimpl wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Which bit of 'everyone is different' are you having difficulty with ?

You may only need a gnat to pee in your mouth once every 10 miles to get all the hydration you need, I'm different to you (thank God :D ).
  • jasondxb
    Note to self

Must read posts properly in future :oops:
  • gimpl
    jasondxb wrote:
    Note to self

Must read posts properly in future :oops:

Why ?
    You're ok.
  • dayone
    dayone Posts: 12
    Gimpl wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    Gimpl wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Which bit of 'everyone is different' are you having difficulty with ?

You may only need a gnat to pee in your mouth once every 10 miles to get all the hydration you need, I'm different to you (thank God :D ).

I agree.

Stuff what others say. Take as much water as YOU want.
    It's just water for crying out loud!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Assuming there are no speed bumps on this path (because in my experience they can fly out), get a behind the seat setup to add further bottles.

You could start with something as simple as the SKS adapater or look at Xlab, I have the Delta wing 100.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sks- ... -prod65844

http://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-acc ... 83827.html