Carbon bikes

SpaceMonkey83
SpaceMonkey83 Posts: 25
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Bought my first carbon frame this year and have been assembling it myself. It rides lovely but I'm so paranoid the the carbon is going to break. Just been down the shed to adjust the headset and took the stem of the carbon steerer, theres some marks on the carbon steerer and I'm wondering how strong this part of the bike is. I've tightened the stem clamp bolts to 5nm and it feels really tight.

Basically just worried the carbons going to snap on me at 40mph

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If you are that worried, you should sell it - as it is obviously spoiling your enjoyment of riding. No offence, but your concerns almost certainly have no basis in reality.

If you have a genuine issue over some marks on the steerer, then take it to a shop, or post a pic on here.
  • its silly I know, just taken a cutoff part of steerer tube and tried crushing it in a spare stem. took alot of force. The marks on the stem just slightly outline the stem and the split in the stem, and you can only feel it if you scratch your fingernail across it.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    that's not right, what f&f????

Is the bung inside the stem clamp? If you're getting marking then that's where it'll snap. Are you just seeing the marking from the stem or also from the compression ring in the headset.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    To give you a sense of perspective:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lsDXEEUlRE
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    but the difference between good carbon and bad carbon is night and day.
  • just marking from the stem, no other marking from the headset at all, bung is inside the tube..
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    but the difference between good carbon and bad carbon is night and day.

you could say the same about any other frame material....
  • Here a picture of it, been into the shop and nothing serious... just me pannicking again
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Suggest you sell your carbon frame and get something made from 4130 CroMo - it's be horribly heavy, ride terribly but pacify your fears ;-)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Suggest you sell your carbon frame and get something made from 4130 CroMo - it's be horribly heavy, ride terribly but pacify your fears ;-)

There seems to be a lot of steel lovers on the forums, just think its my mis understanding of how something so light can be so strong
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    I bet a good 50% of the population would worry about a carbon fibre bike. It's only natural. Watch videos of the pros riding them, crashing and riding some more. Ride it around the park a bit on a flat surface. Build up your confidence with it.

The vertical marks in the picture look like the surface lacquer on the steerer tube has been scraped by the stem as it was put on. The horizontal marks are probably what you are worried about. That could still be rough edges of the stem scratching the surface finish as the stem is put on. Can you feel a ridge with your fingernail? What happens if you wipe it with water?