CX / winter trainer gearing question

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Dear all. My new Crosslight Pro 6 frame has arrived, and the TRP Spyre disc brakes and wheelset are on their way :)

Original plan was to swap my Compact SRAM Apex groupset (50/34, 11-28) from my current winter bike to the new Kinesis frame. However, I'm not sure whether I should take the opportunity to rethink the gearing, especially if heading off into the woods between road sections. No racing aspirations, just wanting to mix a bit of road with off-road tracks where possible and introduce a bit of variety.

I can pick up an Apex CX chainset (46/38) for a modest outlay, would this be worth doing, or would this mean spinning out on the road sections? Or should I just stick a medium cage RD with 11-32 on the back with the current 50/34?

Or am I best replacing the chainset/chainrings, and the RD?

Sorry, but confused so would welcome your advice. thanks
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Cross frame deserves cross gearing. I would go 46/36 (or 44/34 if racing) and stick to the 11-28. 46-38 is cross gearing for 130bcd chainsets, but too much work for me.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you're thinking of offroading being a bit more than prepared tracks through your local woods, then you'll be pleased you have 34x32, particularly in steep, soft or sandy conditions. I agree that a 46/34 chainset is the best option for mixing road and offroad - learn to spin faster or fit a 11-23 for road use.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I use a 46/34 and it's an ok compromise. Not perfect for road or cross, but not too bad either
  • luv2ride
    thanks all. So I presume I could buy that 46/38 chainset and swap the chainrings with my current 50/34, so have one for mixed use at 46/34 and the other 50/38 for the road?

Somehow I knew this wouldn't be straightforward. On the plus side, just come back from Ikea with the mrs where I managed to get a bit of metal tube just the right size to fit the crown race to the Kinesis forks, and it was only a quid from the bargain basement!

Don't let on, but beginning to think I might keep the Tifosi for long road rides, and build up the Cross light as an all purpose bike :shock:
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Luv2ride wrote:
    thanks all. So I presume I could buy that 46/38 chainset and swap the chainrings with my current 50/34, so have one for mixed use at 46/34 and the other 50/38 for the road?

No you can't as the 46/38 uses a 130bcd and 50/34 uses a 110bcd.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • luv2ride
    SRAM Apex chainset (46/36) purchased - figured I could pick up a 34t chainring at some point to make it 46/34 (the 46/36 is 110 BCD). However, I also ended up getting the following as well :oops: :

- SRAM Rival brifters
    - SRAM Rival medium cage rear derailleur
    - SRAM Rival front derailleur
    - SRAM pg1050 11-32t cassette

All were purchased at 'best web' prices (the Rival bits were actually as cheap, if not cheaper, than Apex). The frameset also had a hefty discount, but it still ain't working out that cheap :cry:
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    48/36 Sram S550 with an 11-28 (similar to Apex) on my Crosslight which I find a good compromise. I prefer the 36 to a 34 because it delays the upshift to the big ring a bit, I found myself shifting a lot at the front to maintain a good chainline with a 34. I've raced (badly) on that setup and I was wishing for just one more sprocket at the back on the last lap so will probably replaced it with a 12-30 or 32 when it's worn out.

BTW - SRAM chainrings are pretty soft in my experience so don't expect the 34 to last long if you're riding in dirt. They are cheap at least but I replaced the inner with a middleburn ring which is outlasting the original rings by a good margin.