Absolute beginner

benfaulkner
benfaulkner Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
Hi! I'm looking for some advice as a prospective newbie more than anything else. Sorry to be asking questions on my first post!

I gave up riding at around 13, for health issues, when I used to ride a mountain bike to school every day. Now coming up to my 25th I've just riden a bike for the first time in 11 years, and I've come to the conclusion mountain bikes are NOT for me, it took too much effort and I even felt better on my dad's old Bullet bike from roughly the 70s (first time on a road/race bike).

The reason for all this change is my commute has changed from a 13 mile journey across some of the most dangerous roads in the area to a 2 or so mile commute mostly on cycle paths. My job has also changed from a long day of running around to a long day of sitting down (gaining 2 belt buckles in 3 weeks!). :oops:

My issue now is I have no idea how to get measurements, a quick google search found no bike clubs in my area, and all the techno babble is confusing me, at first look a second hand Carrera Virtuoso seems a good idea, as I don't want to spend lots of money if it turns out to be something I don't keep to long term?

There seem to be no real second hand shops around my area for me to actually try the bikes so I think I need measurements first, and I want to know a bit before I get measurements so I know the shop attendant etc isn't talking rubbish.

Did that make sense? Sorry!

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Hi!

It's always best if you can try sitting on a few. DON'T buy just because a bike is on offer.

How tall are you?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    If the bike is only for a 2 mile commute on cycle paths, almost any bike will do. If commuting in all weathers I would look for a hybrid with mudguards and rack.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    If you tell us your area you may get a local forum member to help.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    The important thing is not to worry too much about bike and kit to start with. Just get going and get into it. Only once you have a few miles under your belt will you start to appreciate different kinds of bike and clothing.

Be sure you're visible, don't ride around in a grey jacket. Don't cycle in the gutter, you have a right to be on the road. It's safer to be a bit out from the kerb as it stops drivers trying to squeeze past you if there isn't space. Never cycle up the left of a bus or truck at a junction.

You'll soon get back into it and have even more questions :-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Thanks all, I'm from Leicester (sorry thought the account location would pop up!) and I'm around 6 foot. My view was pretty much "any bike will do" but then when trying the mountain bike really realised that wasn't the case! again thank you for all the advice :)
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    My view was pretty much "any bike will do" but then when trying the mountain bike really realised that wasn't the case!

Mountain bikes with knobbly tyres are hard work I agree, but you'll probably notice a big difference if you put slick or semi slick tyres on- I have a hybrid that is basically a rigid MTB with slick(ish) tyres and it's pretty nippy (although obviously slower to get going than a true road machine) and most importantly very tough, comfortable and keeps a 'low profile' when parked.

For versatility you can't really beat a Touring bike for going anywhere and carrying anything, or a Cyclocross bike for their 'jack of all trades' nature. They'll be quicker than a sturdy hybrid too, but by how much is more determined by the rider :P
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Agree with above for just starting out for a 2 miles commute with ability to do a bit more from time to time a hybrid will be ideal. You can pick up a really good one quite cheaply.
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    You could try this guy who refurbishes and sells bikes
    Harley's Cycle's,
    Posinstall,
    Gethin House,
    All Saints Road,
    Leicester,
    LE3 5AB,
    or this is on gumtree: http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/hardrock-bike-specialized-sport-mans-bike/1055752710#photo-content and put some slick tyres on it.

or maybe this, but it doesn't state the size:
    http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/raleigh-team-spirit-road-racer-bike/1055417018

There's a cycling shop in the city centre (Future Cycles, I think) in the lanes area that sells 2nd hand, but they seem pricey to me. At 6foot, you'll probably need a 56, maybe 58cm frame for a road bike.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    A L size hybrid will be fine. Fit lights, mudguards, rack and quality tyres (Schwalbe Marathon or better still Marathon Plus).
    Wear helmet, gloves/mitts, bright jacket.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Based not far from you Op - I do have a bike (56) which you could try. PM if interested.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Mountain bikes with knobbly tyres are hard work I agree, but you'll probably notice a big difference if you put slick or semi slick tyres on- I have a hybrid that is basically a rigid MTB with slick(ish) tyres and it's pretty nippy (although obviously slower to get going than a true road machine) and most importantly very tough, comfortable and keeps a 'low profile' when parked.

This. Buy a pair pof cheap slicks and try the MTB again. £24 will get you started assuming the MTB is the right size and the drivetrain working OK.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-city-jet-mtb-tyre/
  • Hi all, sorry I haven't replied in a while, was due to look at a bike tomorrow but the sale fell through, letap - I'm afraid as a new member I don't think I can send messages (it's the same on the Scimitar club site I'm a member of, though I am long past a new member there!).

I'm going to pop in to those shops you've mentioned and take a look on gumtree etc, thank you all for all the help. I'll keep you posted. I'll see about grabbing some new tyres for the MTB as well, as it was originally my brother's but he never used it, and has been sat in my parent's shed since 2003, so the tyres are probably very ruined anyway.