1x10 Setup

bungalballs
bungalballs Posts: 193
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I managed to drop my chainset today and snap off a couple of chainring teeth. Curses. So having thought about it for a while, Im going to give 1x10 a go.

My current chainset is a SRAM S1400. I have an x9 type 2 rear mech. I also have a hope bb, which I'd like to keep using. My bike is a whyte t120s, and had a problem with chainsuck/dropped chains until I bought the type 2 mech, so a bit worried about chain retention. I'd like to use the opportunity to save a bit of weight, but would rather something slightly more robust/long lasting than super light. So, I think my options are;

1: Keep my cranks, buy an MRP bling ring. Not sure if I would need a chain guide with this? If so, was thinking about something like an MRP 1.x. upper guide.

2: Buy new cranks, e.g. an XT chainset, and a narrow wide chain ring, e.g hope retainer. No chain device (?). Any other cranksets I should consider? I assume I need new chainring bolts with this setup?

3: Buy a NW equipped crankset, e.g. Raceface Turbine. Anything other options recommended?

I know 1x10 has been done to death on the forums, but can't find anything in the searches that answer my questions!!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    1 why not.
    2 maybe or washers.
    3 if you want to.

No idea why you posted this in tech rather than buying advice any of your three will work.

What to buy is totally different.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Keep your cranks fit a NW chain ring with specific 1x bolts (thirteen etc)

No guard or device needed

Clutched rear mech is a good idea

100's of threads about this have a search :D
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    do your cranks have a removable spider? If so get an absolute black NW direct mount ring...
  • bungalballs
    bungalballs Posts: 193
    Nick - OK - although some recommendations would be welcome the key thing is trying to work out what would work and what wouldn't. I think you pretty much answer this anyway with "any will work", but I'll try and reword my questions a bit better...

1; If I buy a MRP bling ring (the only single ring I can find which will fit my cranks), would I also need a chain guide, as I don't think the ring is NW. If so, is a top chain guide sufficient?

2: I could buy a whole chainset, and replace the rings with a NW aftermarket ring. I get the impression a NW ring is preferable to the bling-ring + guide. Is there any reason why this option is better/worse than getting either the bling ring, or a specific 1x10 crankset with ring included? How do I find out whether I need new bolts or not with a particular chainset?

3: Buy a specific 1x10 crankset with a NW ring included.

The secret rider - I think I have a problem with generic rings as my spider is 120mm bcd - I can't find one to fit, unless I've missed something?

Ride whenever - yes I think so, it has three torx screws at the base of the crank arm. Looks like an alternative to the bling ring but also with NW - could solve my problem - Thanks!!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    they're not quite available yet but certainly your best option.

saves a tonne of weight and look awesome.