which rims for custom wheelset?

Pedro77
Pedro77 Posts: 59
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
This bike world is very addictive. I love everything mechanical and I take enjoyment of building things.
I know I can just buy very nice "off the peg" wheelsets but I want to build my own.
I have done some research and know the hubs and spokes I want, the problem is sourcing the rims....
Mavic, DT Swiss have some..how are those rims compared to for example Fulcrum Zeros? Will I ever be able to have a really top end wheel handbuilt?

Where to source the best rims for either alu or carbon?

Sorry if its a daft question but really looking to built a top end wheelset and soyrcing the rims seems a bit difficult quality wise...

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Pedro

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Pedro77
    Thanks for that! Quite usefull information on the FAQ. Probably going for an ultegra hub with sapim spokes and mavic open pros... as a training wheelset... need to read more! :)
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    No worries. The "justridealong" configurator I only came across today, thanks to this thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12964664

Incidentally, the spec' the OP has in that thread is lovely.

Additionally, consider this guy:
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk/

He posts regularly on these forums and always seems helpful:
    memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=544973

Then there is the venerable Ugo (who I would imagine will be along to this thread shortly):
    memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=451173

It'd be helpful if you defined a budget, and things about you like your weight and usage etc. too.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Pedro77
    Good stuff! I am 81kg and looking for a light but strong alu wheelset. Something lighter than my fulcrum racing 5s but stronger. Spoke count probably 32 at the rear and 24 in the front.

My budget is £250 for workshop tools and £450 for wheels. Following this first experience I would like to build a carbon set as well.

Thanks again
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Pedro77 wrote:
    Spoke count probably 32 at the rear and 24 in the front.

Which rules out the Open PRO you mentioned earlier as they don't come as 24. I would go for Archetype (23 mm wide) or the new HED Belgium Plus... the latter are very expensive, but they are 25 mm wide and tubeless ready and on paper the best do-it-all rim money can buy.

Don't buy narrow rims (19-20 mm external and 13-14 internal)... they are a thing of the past and virtually ALL manufacturers are moving towards wider rims (23-26 external and 17-20 internal). If you use 23 mm tyres the difference is not huge, but again, everybody is moving towards bigger tyres (including PROs), which are more suited to our roads and as the tyre gets wider, so should the rim
    left the forum March 2023
  • Pedro77
    Good, infinite options... good advice regardong rim width. Looking to use 23-25mm tires. Starting with a cheaper build for experience I guess... the HED rims look quality!
    Pedro
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Pedro77 wrote:
    Good, infinite options... good advice regardong rim width. Looking to use 23-25mm tires. Starting with a cheaper build for experience I guess... the HED rims look quality!
    Pedro

They are, but the Archetype are not far off in terms of quality. If you are NOT planning to go tubeless I would get the Archetype, but if you do, then get a rim which is tubeless ready... HED, Pacenti SL 23 or Velocity A 23.
    I am still dubious about the benefits of tubeless for "high pressure" road tyres, but it is the future, they say...
    left the forum March 2023