been offered a scott cr1 pro...

zachtdi
zachtdi Posts: 5
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
hello guys and gals.

I have just been offered a bike by my aunties partner. its a Scott CR1 pro, full carbon, shimano ultegra gears and brakes and mavic ksryium elite wheels. im not sure what year it is and haven't seen it yet, i know he bought it new and was around £3000ish and has barely used it. he's asking £900 for it.

I currently have a Carrera TDF from halfords, bought it a year or two ago now as a cheap starter bike to see if it was just going to be a 'fad'. it isnt and i actually use it all the time but feel like its starting to hold me back (probably in my head) especially when riding with others who are on carbon bikes.

what are people opinions on the bike itself? and the value? i guess it will be hard to value the bike without knowing the year..

any help would be appreciated though please :)

zach

Comments

• Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    You can get a new 2013 model for £2100 or so from Evans Cycles but if he has hardly used it and it is only £900 then thats a bargain whatever year it is and it will be a massive difference from your Carrera - however only if it is the right size. I have a 2006 Scott CR1 Team which was somewhat racier than the current CR1 and it has been a fantastic bike - really fun and capable of going as fast as any bike out there. I can't climb because I'm 54 and too heavy but I can beat pro riders on it on descents.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I've had exactly that spec. of bike from new, about 6 years. Bloody brilliant bike and I can't fault it. Stiff yet compliant, I've used it for several UK century sportives over the years and climbed all round the Alps on it including Alpe d'Huez, the Galibier, the Glandon and Mont Ventoux (3 times). I'm entered for the Marmotte again this year in July and will be using the CR1 for that as well. I will ride this bike 'til it breaks! :mrgreen:
  • zachtdi
    thanks for that replies guys.

good to hear its treating you well. I'd love to start doing some proper miles this year!
  • zachtdi
    here is a picture he sent me today

C9EF5C1CC6BE8749190294B5CE648BCCC9EF5C1CC6BE87495302A3F75166C1021611799D7DD346DBF70225235462A1EE7F3E256FA0F6ABF4382509059564_zps883fddc3.jpg
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Looks nice, some cleaning up but looks good. You need to make sure it's your size however, otherwise it's just a £900 door stop.

I ride a Scott CR1 Pro - 2012 model, superb frame, highly recommended.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I reckon he will struggle to get £900 on ebay out of it. I reckon £700 is a fairer price but that is me.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    gabriel959 wrote:
    I reckon he will struggle to get £900 on ebay out of it. I reckon £700 is a fairer price but that is me.

If it's been sitting around for a while you need to budget for a new chain, new cassette, new tubes. Just because it's second hand you're probably going to want a new saddle and bartape too.
  • zachtdi
    Cheers for the comments guys.

I'm hoping to borrow it for a week to have a play and make sure it's the right size. Will get to see condition properly then too and ask what year it is etc
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    zachtdi wrote:
    Cheers for the comments guys.

I'm hoping to borrow it for a week to have a play and make sure it's the right size. Will get to see condition properly then too and ask what year it is etc

Obviously check it all over and make sure it is mechanically okay. Pay particular attention to the Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels especially check the rim for cracks at each eyelet because that is commonly where they go. Rear wheel will be the most likely as the highest stressed but I would check the front as well to be on the safe side.