Suntour raidon fork pressure/sag?

KevChallis
KevChallis Posts: 646
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have been hunting for the correct fork pressure/sag measurement for the fork on my voodoo Bizango, yet I can't seem to find any info on it anywhere.

Can any if you guys shed any light?

Thanks
Kev
PlanetX Pro Carbon
Voodoo Bizango

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There is no correct pressure - decide what sag you want and add/subtract air until you get it.
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    Okay, thanks, will just take my shock pump out on the trail tomorrow and make adjustments as I go.

Thanks
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    Good place to start is 25% sag, measuring using an o-ring on the stanchion - or if the fork doesn't have one make one from a ziptie :p
  • As I have slowly got to grips with my own Voodoo Bizango I am looking to fine tune my fork setup and read the article linked earlier on today, it gave me a decent idea of what I need to do once I get hold of a shock pump. Hope it helps.

http://bikemagic.com/gear/how-to/mountain-bike-maintenance/fork-tuning-for-beginners.html
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shock pump needs to be bought with the bike. You can't ride properly unless the forks are right.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    cooldad wrote:
    Shock pump needs to be bought with the bike. You can't ride properly unless the forks are right.

What he said , set it up roughly for the sag you want maybe 25% with all your gear on but you cant really tell until you ride .
    Mine was set up for 25% but felt like jelly in corners etc put another 10 bar in and felt great .
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cookeh wrote:
    Good place to start is 25% sag, measuring using an o-ring on the stanchion - or if the fork doesn't have one make one from a ziptie :p
    An O-ring or cable tie are great for measuring max travel used, lousy for setting sag as it's almost impossible to get on/off the bike without going past the static sag amount of travel.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    tarbot18 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

What he said , set it up roughly for the sag you want maybe 25% with all your gear on but you cant really tell until you ride .
    Mine was set up for 25% but felt like jelly in corners etc put another 10 bar in and felt great .

you put 147psi in the fork to make it feel better :lol:
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    POAH wrote:
    tarbot18 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

er ye i meant bar not psi obviously what do you think i am ..............doh
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • The Rookie
    tarbot18 wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    tarbot18 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

er ye i meant psi not bar obviously what do you think i am ..............doh
    FTFY!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cookeh
    The Rookie wrote:
    Cookeh wrote:
    An O-ring or cable tie are great for measuring max travel used, lousy for setting sag as it's almost impossible to get on/off the bike without going past the static sag amount of travel.

Lockout the fork, have a friend hold the the bike, get on, take lockout off, profit?
  • The Rookie
    If the friend is holding the bike they can just measure the stanchion for you, ergo you still need the friend and just the O-ring or cable tie hasn't helped....
  • Cookeh
    I personally just leaned my bike against the wall to do it as I have no friends, worked just fine for me with an o-ring.
  • The Rookie
    How do you get on and off without compressing it a bit more, personally I find it impossible.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    You can do it if you are careful.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Cookeh
    The Rookie wrote:
    How do you get on and off without compressing it a bit more, personally I find it impossible.
    Don't touch the bars until you're sat on the seat, so you don't transfer any weight to the fork until you're already in the 'attack' position.
  • The Rookie
    But the BB is in front of the rear axle line, so putting more weight than normal on them will compress the forks more, sorry, can't be done......your kidding yourself if you think you can.
  • Cookeh
    The Rookie wrote:
    But the BB is in front of the rear axle line, so putting more weight than normal on them will compress the forks more, sorry, can't be done......your kidding yourself if you think you can.

Whatever, worked for me. Perhaps I'm a magician.
  • The Rookie
    Or perhaps you are running less sag than you should be as you'll never really know if it worked or not!
  • Cookeh
    The Rookie wrote:
    Or perhaps you are running less sag than you should be as you'll never really know if it worked or not!

Nah, I repeated the measurement 'your' way as well with a friend when we were setting up club bikes, I was spot on. As I say, perhaps I'm a magician.
  • KevChallis - I hope you don't mind me tagging my Raidon related question into your thread?

After riding my Bizango with the forks set up by the Halfords mechanic I bought a shock pump and read a few online guides to setting the appropriate sag and decided to go for 25% of overall travel as a starting point. (120mm fork/25% = 30mm) having adjusted the air to give the 25% sag the stanchions no longer return to the full extension once compressed! sitting 4-5mm inside the lowers before I have mounted the bike. Is this normal? I have seen now mention that this may happen, I am a lightweight gangly thing weighing roughly 71kgs. Any assistance would be appreciated, thank you.