Servicing rockshox forks and fox shocks at home.

abarth_1200
abarth_1200 Posts: 370
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, so I recently purchased a lower leg service kit for my rockshox SID forks and an air can service kit for my fox float rp2.

I did the forks already. I'm a little unsure If I did it right, I used the red thick grease in the kit to soak the foam rings in, the new dust wipers already had grease on them so figured that's where I was meant to use the red grease. Upon re assembly I put 5-10ml of the suspensions oil provided in each lower leg then replaced the 2 bolts on the bottom.

The forks are working as they should, just the same as before the service so I think I did it correctly, I did follow SRAM guides and YouTube videos. Just unsure of the grease application.

Now onto the rear shock,I've not touched it yet as the only oil I've got is a little pillow of fox fluid which I understand I split between the two halves of the air can piston, however I've been reading and seeing guides that lube the new o-rings with a different greae. Anyone know if I need this grease or if the fox fluid will do the same job.

Same goes with the forks, should the dust wipers and foam rings have the same grease on them upon reassembly?

Comments

• Foam rings are soaked in 15 weight oil. The sram website service section has pdf guides . I did my sid using them . Light smear of red rubber grease to oil seal and any o rings. Oiled foam rings protect the stanchions by lubricating as fork cycles through it's travel
  • abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    Ah so the red grease was only for the orings, I hope the oil dilutes some of the grease on the foam rings then.

Either way the forks seem well lubricated during the last coupe rides