Campagnolo Ultratorque - noisy 34T

Calpol
Calpol Posts: 1,039
edited April 2014 in Workshop
I have built up my Wilier with a mix of Chorus and Athena. In the big ring this is working pretty well but the noise when shifted to the 34T is terrible. Not so bad on the work stand but on the road its sounds like a complete bag of spanners. I can't see any rubbing on the front mech but the noise of the chain sounds like it really is rubbing on something.

Could it be related to chain length? Bike runs fine in the 50T and pretty quiet.

Any ideas?

Set up is Campagnolo Chorus 11 carbon ultratorque chainset
Athena front and rear mechs
KMC 11 speed chain
Chorus shifters

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    in all sprockets on the 34, or just the smaller ones? Could be the chain on the outer ring. Alternatively give it 1000miles to break in and you'll be laughing.
  • Calpol
    It sounds rough on all the sprockets but worst on the bigger ones. Chain on outer ring sounds a possibility but is there any fix for that?
  • ride_whenever
    if it's across the range then it wont be the outer ring.

Bscrew or equivalent would be my guess or a chain length issue.
  • Calpol
    Chain too long? or short?
  • ride_whenever
    probably long, but can you post a pic of small:small, with the bike level.
  • Calpol
    Thanks for all the replies. Here is a small/small pic

2014-04-06%2010.38.05.jpg
  • ride_whenever
    it looks lke you may need to remove a link, it's 5-8mm between the bottom run and the top of the lower pulley isnt it???

Then a little more on the b screw
  • infopete
    infopete Posts: 878
    Are you sure your jockey wheels are the right way round?
    Oh and please remember to click on my blog:

http://americanbicyclegroup.wordpress.com

The more clicks I get the higher it creeps up the google radar :)
  • Calpol
    Mech was New Athena one so fitted as supplied. I took another link out but I think it's now to short as big big combo is to tight and chain is fouling on guide of bottom jockey wheel. Possibly should have fiddled with b tension screw a bit more first.!
  • Calpol
    Have resorted to trying a new inner chainring. Ordered a 36T TA chainring from Wiggle. Fitted it last night and it appears that the 34T might have a slight deflection in it. It rocks slightly when placed on a flat surface so I am hoping that this is the issue. Chainring bolts are soft as cheese with Torx 30 front and slotted back. Almost knackered one of them getting it out. A replacement set of Campag ones is £30!!! so hopefully I wont need them.

will test out tonight and report back.
  • Calpol
    Calpol wrote:
    Have resorted to trying a new inner chainring. Ordered a 36T TA chainring from Wiggle. Fitted it last night and it appears that the 34T might have a slight deflection in it. It rocks slightly when placed on a flat surface so I am hoping that this is the issue. Chainring bolts are soft as cheese with Torx 30 front and slotted back. Almost knackered one of them getting it out. A replacement set of Campag ones is £30!!! so hopefully I wont need them.

will test out tonight and report back.

Problem solved. New chainring worked perfectly. Don't tend to need the little ring round here too much but it passed the load test tonight.

Root cause: bent inner chainring