Is this handbuilt wheel spec ok?

chanjy
chanjy Posts: 200
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Here's what I was looking at.

ZQNooaw.png

(photo here if that's too small? http://i.imgur.com/ZQNooaw.png)

Grateful if people could just confirm that this would work ok (I'm 70kg), and that prices seem sensible? (As far as I can tell from googling various bits, it's not too bad)

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    I sorry that can't offer any help, but what website is that?
    edit, I answered my own question with a bit of googling: http://www.justridingalong.com/road-rear.html

Those wheels also look pretty yummy. If you do order them, will you post what you think of them? And their weights?
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Awesome build, but as these are tubeless ready rims, get them taped with Stans yellow tape regardless of whether you want to use them tubed or tubeless...
    left the forum March 2023
  • chanjy
    Disco boy, indeed it is the JRA site :)

Thanks ugo that's given me confidence that I won't be chucking away £600 if I order them!
  • ugo.santalucia
    Not at all... it's quite possibly the best set of wheels money can buy... give them a ring and ask for the yellow tubeless tape, they do lots of tubeless builds and I am surprised they spec Velox for these rims, which I understand being tubeless ready.
    Let us know how they ride... I expect them to be no less than awesome! 8)
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Ugo - the JRA wheel builder is all user-driven. It's not so much that they spec them with Velox, just an average buyer not knowing the significance.

P.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • ugo.santalucia
    cattytown wrote:
    Ugo - the JRA wheel builder is all user-driven. It's not so much that they spec them with Velox, just an average buyer not knowing the significance.

P.

It's an easy tool to cut short a 40 emails barrage, but personally I don't think you can beat a good chat, whether it is at the phone or via email.
    However, if you know what you want, it cuts the crap...
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    I preferred the 40 email approach, but then I didn't know what I wanted.
    Can't wait to see a pick of these

Matt
  • jon33
    jon33 Posts: 256
    How did these wheels turn out?

For those who understand all this wheel business, how would the mentioned set compare to a set with Dura Ace hubs, Sapim CX Ray spokes and Pacenti SL23 rims?
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    jon33 wrote:
    How did these wheels turn out?

For those who understand all this wheel business, how would the mentioned set compare to a set with Dura Ace hubs, Sapim CX Ray spokes and Pacenti SL23 rims?

Last I heard, he hadn't received them due to delays caused by HED:

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12967621&p=18850247#p18850247
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    bloody perfect build and I have no trouble fitting tyres even tight conti's to tubeless rims. If you have the right technique it is easy. The 24H belgian + rims are due in a few weeks, it is drilling not previously offered so there is no prior production or stock.

I hope the OP gets his wheels soon but I think it will be a few weeks away yet.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • chanjy
    Haha indeed I gave up after a month of waiting and still no ETA on the rims so got a cheaper Archetype build instead from Paolo! So unfortunately can't say whether the Belgium rims are any good :(