Specialized up to their old tricks - a new victim

13»

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    BrandonA wrote:
    You can't blame Specialized for being correct (they are correct as they won) and defending their brand.

By that logic, Wacko Jacko was correct as well..........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    Rolf F wrote:
    BrandonA wrote:
    You can't blame Specialized for being correct (they are correct as they won) and defending their brand.

:roll:

Not really worth replying to comments like yours in detail. The two situations are completely different and you clearly biased against Specialized based on your previous comments in this thread and no matter what people say you will continue to live your blinkered existence and maintain your illogical hatred towards a very successful and trusted brand.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    BrandonA wrote:
    Not really worth replying to comments like yours in detail. The two situations are completely different and you clearly biased against Specialized based on your previous comments in this thread and no matter what people say you will continue to live your blinkered existence and maintain your illogical hatred towards a very successful and trusted brand.

Whereas you are clearly biased towards Specialized with an illogical level of approval for them, regardless of the legitimacy of their actions. Maybe you have a 'blinkered existence' too..??
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    BrandonA wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    BrandonA wrote:

How can you trust a brand that is so nervous about their product that their first instinct is legal action when someone else has a product that shares some of the same letters? FFS, it's not even a direct competitor.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,424
    BrandonA wrote:
    rpherts wrote:
    BrandonA wrote:
    Stuff

Rubbish. If you believe in something you stick up for your beliefs. David can and fine does defeat Goliath, you've just got,to have the belief in your stance and see it through. You can't blame Specialized for being correct (they are correct as they won) and defending their brand.

No one had heard of this other company so I bet they are happy with all the free publicity. You can bet the odd Specilized hater will buy their unheard of bike in an anti-snobbery protest.

You must be very niaive or have no understanding of the legal world. It would cost a fortune to defend yourself, no matter how right you were, in this situation. The legal world has very little to do with who is right and who is wrong in such cases, but has a huge amount to do with who has the deepest pockets.

The small guy has a choice, stand up for what is right, but bankrupt yourself in the process and lose your livelihood, or give in and save your business.

Specialized are flexing their wallet and acting as a bully.
  • BrandonA - Just when did Specialized win?- as far as I know they have never won in a court case involving trademark/branding infringement
  • nigelgos
    nigelgos Posts: 128
    The recent Cafe Roubaix one was silly and deservedly got them some bad PR. But this one isn't the same for me, the product with the supposed infringement is a bike and though I (and probably an untrained monkey) can tell the difference between the bikes it is close enough in name that it could cause confusion. I don't like to see big companies going after the little guy but this one is probably merited.

disclosure: I own an Allez.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    nigelgos wrote:
    The recent Cafe Roubaix one was silly and deservedly got them some bad PR. But this one isn't the same for me, the product with the supposed infringement is a bike and though I (and probably an untrained monkey) can tell the difference between the bikes it is close enough in name that it could cause confusion. I don't like to see big companies going after the little guy but this one is probably merited.

disclosure: I own an Allez.

That's just insane. First of all (and as I and many others have mentioned) they're not pronounced even remotely the same, nor are they spelled the same. Secondly they're not competitive models. The Alize started at around 2k. No one looking at an Allez is just going to 'accidentally' buy an Alize. Third, they have a long and sordid history of abusing smaller companies. They forced Epic Designs to change their name because they thought people might confuse makes of saddlebags (and damn good ones) for a mountain bike.

Look at who they take action against:
    1. Cafe Roubaix - a small shop that brands their wheels
    2. Epic Designs (now Revelate) - a small brand that makes saddlebags and touring luggage
    3. Stratos - a small suspension company that is now out of business as a result. It was cheaper for Spec to sue than to purchase the patent.
    4. Mountain Cycles - Spec sued them over their bike the Stumptown (the term was coined in 1847 and of no relation to the Stumpjumper). Mountain Cycles went bankrupt as a result. Ironically the Stumpjumper was a design that Specialized copied.
    5. Volagi - Former Spec employees make bike, Spec sues over IP and wants a cut of each sale. Judge throws out 8 of 9 charges except for breach of contract and makes Volagi pay Spec $1. Finally one for the little guys.
    6. WTB - Sued for the Epic Wolf tyre. Had to changed the name.
    7. NeilPryde - We already know what this one is about.

They have never tried to take on a company with even close to the resources they have. They use the world's biggest law firm to force small companies into submission. Disgusting.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • imposter2.0
    nigelgos wrote:
    it is close enough in name that it could cause confusion.

Let's see now...

Alize = 'aleez'

Allez = 'allay'

Nope, sorry - can't see it.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    And also Neil Pryde have a very plausible reason for choosing Alize. All their products tend to be named with a wind connection.
  • rolf_f
    BrandonA wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    BrandonA wrote:

Lol! Over-reaction somewhat?

The situations are not completely different. One company and one individual used financial clout to solve a problem rather than letting it be sorted out fairly.

I don't have a problem with Specialized in terms of its products. OK, the bikes are as dull as ditchwater and I don't like their image but I know they are technically good and I've not heard a bad word said of the helmets and I can agree with that based on personal experience as I once wore one in the States - it was very comfortable and not even a particularly expensive one. Also, the shoes seem good and they acknowledge the existence of people with wide feet. But I have no desire to support a company that behaves the way Specialized do. There are plenty of companies that seem to be less obnoxious so why wouldn't I favour one that is? To buy a Specialized bike to me is like deliberately having unpleasant friends.

Stop being such a tool. :wink:
  • rolf_f
    Imposter wrote:
    nigelgos wrote:

Let's see now...

Alize = 'aleez'

Allez = 'allay'

They should watch out. Apparently Specialized are about to get sued by Allah. And rightly so. I feel so embarrassed that I've been worshipping a cheap bicycle all these years rather than a god!
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    Rolf F wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    nigelgos wrote:

Let's see now...

Alize = 'aleez'

Allez = 'allay'

They should watch out. Apparently Specialized are about to get sued by Allah. And rightly so. I feel so embarrassed that I've been worshipping a cheap bicycle all these years rather than a god!

Obviously Rolf is going straight to hell for that comment :wink:
    Abu-Hamza-3_2189294b.jpg
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • imposter2.0
    Slowmart wrote:
    Obviously Rolf is going straight to hell for that comment :wink:

Unfortunately, it's not called 'hell' anymore - not since hell got sued by Nicolai for sounding too much like 'Helios'... ;)

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... -13-47634/