Headset for a 2013 Nukeproof Mega AM frame

trigger118
trigger118 Posts: 191
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I'm just starting my Mega AM build and am starting with the headset. I have the 2013 model frame and a 2014 Pike to go with it (tapered steerer).

Headsets are the bane of my life with so many different measurements and standards etc.
I have tried using the cane creek headset finder but it asks if I want a zero-stack or an external cup headset. Is this just a preference thing or will my frame/fork only take one?

Thanks
2010 Norco Shore 2
2007 Commencal MaxMax
2013 Nukeproof Mega AM

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Integrated 44mm top cup. External 44mm bottom cup.
    I used this one
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... -prod85842
  • trigger118
    Great cheers,

Would I be right in thinking I need this one then for the tapered steerer?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nuke ... -prod85845
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • trigger118
    Also RockMonkey, when you bought your Mega did you get the cable guides and front mech mount etc in the box? I don't seem to have done, nor any paperwork or anything if there should have been any.
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Yes. Thats the right one for a tapered fork. That is the one I have, not the straight one.
    Mine came with cable guides and front mech mount in a bag.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I recently got a TR and yes all the cable guides, front mech mount and paperwork was all in a bag inside the box.

Regarding headsets, I would go for a Cane Creek 40 over a Nukeproof any day. I've got a Nukeproof on my Rocky and it is shite. I fitted a 40 to my TR and it's one of the nicest headsets I've used. The sealing is very good on them and they're pretty cheap (I got my 44mm 1 1/8th for just under £30 with my BC Wiggle discount). I'd take one over any other headset for price to performance (the seals are meant to be better than the Hope headsets and my Hope is 2 and a half years old and still perfect).