training/winter frame

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
I am after a cheap frme for a winter and training bike project.

Ideally should have clearance for 'guards and 25mm tyres. Rack mounts would be good, but needs to be a sporty ride to encourage me to put the hammer down.

Other than the obvious Ribble winter frame, any other recommendations?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    What's "cheap" for you?
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Hi Sam,
    Im thinking of building up a steel frame to replace my current winter bike (alu Trek Domane). My mechanical skills are non existant so I see the project as my opportunity to learn more about the detail of how bikes function.
    The frames that are leading the way for me at the moment are...
    http://www.condorcycles.com/Condor-Bike ... e.tpl.html
    http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/fra ... brium-disc
    Currently the genesis is leading the way. I'm after disc brakes for the winter ride. I'm less worried about speed and weight over the winter, its all about increasing my base fitness, so I want something that is reasonably nice to ride long distances on when the weather and road conditions are bad.
    There is also a cheaper version of the genesis, depending on your budget, might be worth a read up on them? Personally for the winter ride 105 is more than a good enough groupset and I'll budget £400 for a decent set of handbuilts. I'll be speaking to other members on here about wheel choice nearer the time.
    Hope this is of some use?
  • These are a good deal at the moment :D

http://www.kinokocycles.com/wide-open-2012.html

May suit your needs
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Obvious ribble winter frame. It's ACE!
    I even race on mine.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Tifosi CK7. Built up mine myself, so was a great way to learn how it all works. Used it today (first time since the decent weather came along 8) ) and not much slower than my "best bike" (CR1 SL), so still a rewarding ride but comfy with 25mm tyres and full guards. I love it, although may soon be replaced by a Kinesis Crosslight pro 6 disc as I fancy mixing it up round the local woods as well...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    I've just bought an alu Defy frame on ebay for £150 including forks. Really looking forward to building up this project.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Obvious ribble winter frame. It's ACE!
    I even race on mine.
    Is it really that good? It's certainly cheap (£180 incl forks)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Yep.

It is ace. I sold my Cervelo R3 as I was riding the ribble more!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    Dolan Prefissio is a decent frame, I've used one that I got cheap new on ebay for a couple of winters now. (I think it may be very similar to the Ribble)
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Kinesis frames are definitely worth a shout. I've been commuting to uni on mine since September with full guards and a rack.