would i notice the difference with this set up

radiation man
radiation man Posts: 446
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
im building a new frame and going to replace my 50 39 30 triple and 12 26 rear cassette with a double 52 39 and rear cassette 11 28 will i notice much difference, when climbing. my gear ratios for 30 26 are 1.2 and for the 39 28 are 1.4, to get the same ratio as 30 26 i would need a 11 32 cassette but i think that would look too big on the road bike.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You won't have as many ratios available to you, if that's what you mean..?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    It's not about how it looks, the 32 won't probably work with a road derailleur. If you need short gears, you need short gears, you can't make do with a big one because it looks PRO... it's a losing strategy
    left the forum March 2023
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Yes you will, a compact (50/34) would be better, but 34/28 is still not quite as low as 30/26.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Ugo, where did the blog about Chinese carbon rims go to please? I was hoping to re-read it.
  • It's not about how it looks, the 32 won't probably work with a road derailleur. If you need short gears, you need short gears, you can't make do with a big one because it looks PRO... it's a losing strategy
    It depends.

I have shimano 105 with 50/34 and 34/11. Works perfectly.
  • ugo.santalucia
    It's not about how it looks, the 32 won't probably work with a road derailleur. If you need short gears, you need short gears, you can't make do with a big one because it looks PRO... it's a losing strategy
    It depends.

I have shimano 105 with 50/34 and 34/11. Works perfectly.

Interesting... the 105 derailleur is supposed to only pull up to 28... do you have a special one?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Ugo, where did the blog about Chinese carbon rims go to please? I was hoping to re-read it.

Deleted.
    I don't pay a fee to the blog host, so I can only have 30 articles published and I need to do season cleanings... don't miss my report on "my tubeless conversion" next week! :shock:
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356

Deleted.
    I don't pay a fee to the blog host, so I can only have 30 articles published and I need to do season cleanings... don't miss my report on "my tubeless conversion" next week! :shock:

That one I must read as I was considering converting my Archetypes to tubeless. maybe I wont after reading it?!
    Don't suppose you could PM me the Chinese carbon post could you? Only if it's not too much trouble.