Modernised classic steel

bikes`n`guns
bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Blokes, Blokettes

I have a Ribble audaxy wintery thing built with Ultegra 9 speed, carbon bits etc yahdah yahdah

Anyway, I fancy finding a nice classic steel road bike, and fitting the modern malarkey to it.

Anyone done similar,? got pics ? I suppose I`m just looking for inspiration and ideas.
Can I get the bits to use sti with downtube braze ons ?

fankingyouvermuch in advance
Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Two pieces of advice

1) Get a frame with rear dropouts at 130 mm

2) If it has a threaded fork, use a quill stem... the Ahead adaptors look like something Mary Shelley might have talked about

The answer to all other questions is yes
    left the forum March 2023
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Can I get the bits to use sti with downtube braze ons ?
    Examples here. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=dow ... &FORM=IGRE Personally I think the Shimano DA and Ultegra versions are the best. They look nicer and the adjusters are a little larger and easier to grasp on the fly.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Two pieces of advice

2) If it has a threaded fork, use a quill stem... the Ahead adaptors look like something Mary Shelley might have talked about

Not wishing to contradict Ugo, but if you get a steel frame ( not 753) with 126mm rear dropouts you can " cold set" them to 130mm
  • Actually

I remembered I have a 1990 Raleigh Pro Race tucked away,

501, but quite a nice lugged frame. Hmmm,, Nice black and red paint job, and voila !

Now,, where the hell did I put it !??
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    rafletcher wrote:
    Two pieces of advice

Not wishing to contradict Ugo, but if you get a steel frame ( not 753) with 126mm rear dropouts you can " cold set" them to 130mm

Yes, but you also know that it's half a job and a botch, last remedy before binning the frame. If you have the choice, why would you?
    left the forum March 2023
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Yes, but you also know that it's half a job and a botch, last remedy before binning the frame.

= something of an over-reaction! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nickmac
    nickmac Posts: 38
    I've got an early 80's Tommasini steel frame built up with modern Super Record 11 and absolutely love it. Used a Cinetica adjustable quill stem and carbon bars which give a good look of classic and modern combined.

Busy packing for holiday so don't have time to take and post pics but will do so on my return.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    6677409127_f30aa0d422_b.jpg

I went ahead, 1" carbon forks, 1" aheadset, then used a 1 1/8" stem with a 1"-1 1/8" adapter that lends a super clean look. Also sorted the handling out beautifully.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    How about a Guerciotti Record, sold by Planet-X:
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/readers-rides/ ... tti-record
    Tempted myself....
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Those ritchey classic stems look perfect :)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Rolf F wrote:
    Yes, but you also know that it's half a job and a botch, last remedy before binning the frame.

= something of an over-reaction! :lol:

My regular winter bike no.2 is my from-new 1980's 531c frame. Originally 120mm. Spent 25 years or so with a 126mm OLN wheel squeezed in then last year I cold-set it to 130 (from 122mm as it had become) and fitted a modern handbuilt wheel with SRAM 8 speed and friction shifting. It works like a new bike.

When coldsetting make sure you get the rear dropouts realigned. To not do this is a bodged job I would agree, but with realigned dropouts it's perfect and I expect it to last at least another 25 years. :D

If you don't restrict yourself to 130mm OLN, you will have a massively expanded range of choice. Remember we're talking just 2mm per side here. Check the classifieds in retrobike.co.uk for fair-priced used frames.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Look around a bit. Lots of companies make steel frames and more than a few of the older, more established makers(Gios, Colnago, Cinelli, to name a few) still make lugged steel frames with chromed lugs and forks. And they have the 130 wide rear, so no problems building up with todays gear.

I have Gios Compact Pro steely. Been ridding it for years now. No issues.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Like this you mean
    P1010008_zps6d3289e7.jpg
    Note the DT adapter for ergo shifter or STI these are easily available. This bike runs Record 10 speed and yes the rear tyre jut clears, it fine honest. The frame is a 92 Sannino made from columbus genius. The headset has been changed to a FSA orbit in black.

Genesis still do steel frames worth a look and derosa, colnago and Cinelli do too.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    You can probably find some posts of my Condor 531 Pro Frame circa 1987, its 126mm OLN and can't be cold set since the 531 Professional frameset uses 753 rear stays. I use a 7-speed cassette with Shimergo setup, 10 speed campag shifers etc so it can be done, but save yourself a lot of hassle and get a 130mm OLN frame.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/djmclodge ... 730328236/

7977483656_8a3ab7d355_o.jpg

c3c567069fa211e3839f12668b319f39_8.jpg
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava