Are cycling shoes really required?

kirby700
kirby700 Posts: 458
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Just want some opinions, jut bought some nukeproof pedals and there really are very grippy and currently using Etnie skateboard shoes. Really good grip but just too chunky looking.

Are the likes of five tens and shimano really worth the money? or shall I just nip down to local sports direct and get myself some smaller profile skateshoes?

Cheers
GIANT XTC 2.5
BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    If the skate shoes work use them. You don't have to buy 5:10 or AM45 or anything.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Shimano shoes will be a lot better when the weather is a bit more British.
    Proper cycling shoes are also stiffer which helps transfer power to the pedals better.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    depends what you're riding, if you're just dirt jumping then skate shoes would suffice but if you're doing longer distance then it'd be wise investing in some proper shoes for the extra stiffness/support
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Flexy shoes can start to hurt you feet after a while, it's kind of like going walking and wearing sandals because "they still work". If you get Shimano or 510 the grip is probably much better, your feet don't get as wet (shimano) and you'll probably end up saving money, as the skate shoes will end up falling apart all the time...
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    I just use some £8 airwalks I got in a SportsDirect sale. Airwalk/DG/some Etnie skate shoes have very stiff soles which make them well suited for mtbing, without the massive price tag.

5:10s will be a massive upgrade over skate shoes though, and you'll wonder how you coped without them - but they aren't necessary and are extremely expensive when you factor in how often you'll actually use them.
  • rockmonkeysc
    They may be expensive but I have shimano shoes which I have used regularly in all weather for five years and they are still perfectly good.
  • kirby700
    I think I always knew the answer just didn't want to waste £80 for nothing.

I just need to decide on shimano am41 or five ten macaskill

cheers.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    What size shoe are you?
  • rockmonkeysc
    AM41 if you ride in British weather.
  • kirby700
    @Kowalski size 8
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • Kowalski675
    kirby700 wrote:
    @Kowalski size 8

On the larger side of size 8, or smaller side?
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    kirby700 wrote:

cheers.

I got recommended Teva Links, supposed to be very good but ended up with a pair of 661 filters for a very good price, seem pretty grippy with a nice stiff sole plus they've kept my feet dry so far.
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    kirby700 wrote:

cheers.
    I have the macaskills and they are very grippy. Been using them since last April. Have ridden all winter in them too . Highly recommended.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I don't like any of the cycling specific shoes, I use gore-tex merrells for riding as they're a fair bit stiffer than most offerings from manufacturers and they're goretex.

Not quite as grippy but they're grippy enough with for example vaults, but not saints.
  • jaybo1973
    jaybo1973 Posts: 301
    My Shimano shoes are great. They stick out like a door thumb bring white but are brill
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    I only use Vans, never felt like I've needed any cycling specific shoes. I may try cycling shoes one day to see if they offer any advantage, the only advantage I can see is them being waterproof over my vans.
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    During the properly muddy period i used a pair of sports direct shoes. They were Everlasts with a decent sized sole on them so they were stiff and grippy. The waterproof-ness of them was also surprising. They were high-top sort of design with a strap above the laces that keeps them nice and tight around the top of your foot. I used them in conjunction with waterproof socks in huge masses of mud for 16 odd miles - 3 hours of riding - and they were brilliant.

In the drier stuff i use leather converses and i havent had any troubles with them, though they are slightly more flexible. They have good grip though.

I think sports shoes (or even non sports shoes in the case of the converses) are fine.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    edited April 2014
    As mentioned in a similar thread, I wear these...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Merrell-Hiking- ... rell+boots

I'm sure a pair of 5.10s would be better, but how much better is debatable. My feet don't get too hot, even in summer, and it has to be seriously wet before my feet get wet. They don't slip at all on a pair of Saints (washers removed) and they give me ankle protection which most of the 5.10s don't. Sole stiffness seems about right – they don't flop around the pedal but I can still feel where it is and what it's doing under my foot. And for me, personally, it's a big deal that they're really comfortable as I have terrible trouble finding shoes I can wear for any length of time. Oh, and unlike 5.10s, they look like something you actually should be wearing in a forrest rather than in a skatepark!

Going to have to try a pair of 5.10 one day, though, just out of curiosity.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • kirby700
    Went out today in the etnies on the new pedals and did 19miles. My feet are aching a little to be honest.
    @Kowalski I'd say bang on the middle of size 8
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I just use light weight walking shoes which give plenty of grip and are fine off the bike. They last for ages and look fine.

By walking shoes I don't mean the clompy leather variety :)
  • Kowalski675
    kirby700 wrote:
    Went out today in the etnies on the new pedals and did 19miles. My feet are aching a little to be honest.
    @Kowalski I'd say bang on the middle of size 8

Sent you a PM re some unused Tevas I have.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    I've been back cycling properly for two months - the vans i had as casual shoes gripped very well to my flats.. BUT i took them off after getting to work today and realised there was no rubber left on the soles where my pedals go!! they were in perfect nick before. So i'm now concerned about the longevity of skate shoes.

Has anyone bought a pair of 5-10s and used them as their everyday shoe was well as a cycling shoe? would the rubber last ok? seeing as I've trashed what were my summer everyday shoes, i figured i could kill two birds with one stone and buy a pair of 5-10s to use on the bike and everyday. I'm not sure whether the shimano flat shoes would look so good down the pub!!
  • Kowalski675
    Seriously? You only have one pair of shoes? Bike shoes are for wearing on a bike - they're all going to look s**t in a pub. The Shimanos would have people thinking you'd arrived on teh sunshine bus... :roll: