Canyon safty recall

big_p
big_p Posts: 565
edited April 2014 in MTB general
Just had this email from canyon.

Thank you for choosing the Canyon Strive AL 9.0 SL. As a premium bike manufacturer, we take great care in ensuring both the quality and the safety of our products are of the very highest level. One of the biggest advantages of our direct distribution model is that we are able to contact you, our customers, quickly and efficiently if we have any concerns over your safety, which is something we would like to do today.

During one of our extensive quality controls, a problem with the Race Face Turbine stem equipped on your bike was brought to our attention. It turns out that a small number of Race Face Turbine bar clamps produced between September 2010 and the 8th of August 2013 were manufactured outside of the design tolerances. In the worst case, this clamp could crack and eventually break prematurely during use. We have therefore decided to replace all Race Face Turbine bar clamps as a precautionary measure, even if they were not produced during the time period mentioned above. The Canyon models affected by this include the 2013 Strive AL 9.0 SL, the 2013 Torque EX Vertride and the 2014 Spectral AL 9.0 SL.

For safety reasons, please refrain from using your bike until you have successfully replaced your Race Face Turbine bar clamp!

Over the following days you will receive a package from us containing a new Race Face Turbine bar clamp, a Canyon Torque Wrench to allow correct assembly as well as carbon assembly paste to use if your bike is equipped with carbon handlebars. In addition you will receive assembly instructions and a letter from Race Face.

Upon receiving this package, please replace the bar clamp immediately. This is a precautionary measure that serves first and foremost to guarantee your safety. Please dispose of the old bar clamp after replacing it.

Alternatively, you can bring your bike to the UK Service Centre for an examination. Should you wish to do this, simply send an E-Mail to uk@canyon.com to arrange an appointment.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us quoting your customer number, xxxxxxxX, and one of our highly competent service personnel will be happy to assist you.

We would like to apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding and co-operation.

Yours sincerely,

The Canyon Service Team

Comments

• buddy_club
    buddy_club Posts: 935
    Seems like they've done the right thing, replacing it straight away, tbh your one would probably be fine but they have to do things like this.
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    mine must have been one of those then, it cracked on about the third ride. It was replaced under warranty no questions asked but there was no mention of a manufacturing issue
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • HardrockRob
    HardrockRob Posts: 230
    Presumably this goes wider than Canyon if it is a Race Face issue.

Have Race Face issued a recall? Can't see anything after an admittedly cursory look in the interweb.
    2015 Nukeproof Mega TR 275 in raw
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    Haven't seen anything either, and I have to assume they haven't issued a recall, or maybe informed suppliers and left it in their hands?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I heard about the issue a while ago, pretty sure they issued an official recall. Canyon have been pretty slow if they're only just telling people about it.
  • Marsme
    Marsme Posts: 1
    I had a crash last summer, after using my Strive for only4 days. Frontplate of the Turbine broke.
    What to do, now that it has become obvious that this is deu to a product-fail??

Result of the crash:
    Rip in the collar bone, badly injured shoulder and neck, concussion, damaged helm (had te be replaced), end of holidays after 4 of the planned 21 days and still problems with shoulder and neck.
    I stated the above to Canyon but they sort of ignore the issue and just say they are sorry to hear this and that ther is no ' official recall' ?????
  • buddy_club
    buddy_club Posts: 935
    Marsme wrote:
    I had a crash last summer, after using my Strive for only4 days. Frontplate of the Turbine broke.

Result of the crash:
    Rip in the collar bone, badly injured shoulder and neck, concussion, damaged helm (had te be replaced), end of holidays after 4 of the planned 21 days and still problems with shoulder and neck.
    I stated the above to Canyon but they sort of ignore the issue and just say they are sorry to hear this and that ther is no ' official recall' ?????
    Sue the absolute sh*t out of them
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB
  • HardrockRob
    Marsme wrote:

Result of the crash:

Do you still have the component? Short answer go see a (decent) solicitor. And then as above.

If you have the component you stand a far better chance of succeeding.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    The Turbine stems that come on Canyons are OE models, not the nice CNC-machined one that is sold aftermarket. Could be that Canyon are one of the few that use it.
  • Marsme wrote:

Result of the crash:

How would you prove the front plate damage was the cause of the crash and not the result?
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    warpcow wrote:
    The Turbine stems that come on Canyons are OE models, not the nice CNC-machined one that is sold aftermarket. Could be that Canyon are one of the few that use it.

so does this mean they're cast components?
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • HardrockRob
    Marsme wrote:

Result of the crash:

How would you prove the front plate damage was the cause of the crash and not the result?

Google Ide v ATB Sales Ltd
  • Google Ide v ATB Sales Ltd
    Interesting! although frankly I'd be well cheesed off in that ruling if I was the defendant - with no proof of a defect in the bars I would have ruled that the more likely cause was running out of talent.

If a case as shoddy as that can go through it seems almost certain in the ops situation where there is a strong possibility of defective parts that it would go in his favour.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not sure which article you read but this is the full transcript
    http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2008/424.html

Mr Ide's bars failed (the other side of the same bare to the original failure) in a way similar bars (same make/model) did not, they had fatigue cracks initiated at a machining point.

There were only two failure modes proposed, the judge decides a case on 'balance of probabilities' therefore in the case of only 2 choices he picks the most likely, that is how UK law works.

A good one though for those who argue against carbon bars due to sudden failure and prefer aluminium as it will bend......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Last year some of the harder riding testers at MBR said Race Face stems and cranks showed some flex. Canyon buy more than 60,000 stems a year. I would imagine other component makers are already pitching for the business !
    Ritchey already supply a lot of the Canyon road stems.
  • warpcow
    t0pc4t wrote:
    warpcow wrote:

The one I saw one Strive the other week looked cast.
  • The Rookie
    CNC can be cast, it's only forged that aren't (well usually they are a cast ingot prior to forging, but that's not the same thing), whether that is with or without the CNC machining.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    warpcow wrote:
    t0pc4t wrote:
    warpcow wrote:

The one I saw one Strive the other week looked cast.

My stem is the factory fitted one and it's 100% cnc machined.
  • warpcow
    Forged is probably what I meant, it certainly didn't look machined. Maybe they've changed it from year to year (was a 2013 model Strive it was mounted on). I have a Turbine and this one was definitely not the same.

Edit: Canyon list it as a "Turbine Basic" on the website. If you zoom in on the pics it definitely is not the same as the CNC'd Turbine.
  • The Rookie
    big p wrote:
    My stem is the factory fitted one and it's 100% cnc machined.
    Is it, or is it on the outside only?