World cup jersey

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited April 2014 in Pro race
why not a one day WT champion jersey anymore?

$T2eC16dHJF0E9nmFS0!CBRUICfb0V!~~60_35.JPG

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I've advocated making the classics from Het Nieuwsblad through to Paris-Roubaix into some sort of 'Classics Series' in the past. I still think it's a good idea.

The actual World Cup as it was wouldn't really work as well as the riders for those races have diverged into two general groups.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    What would it add? The races don't need a gimmick like that, winning a classic should be an end in itself they don't need to be made into a league.

Presumably that would mean points for podium finishes or top 10s but riding a good race is about giving yourself a chance of winning and sometimes doing that means you finish nowhere.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    What would it add? The races don't need a gimmick like that, winning a classic should be an end in itself they don't need to be made into a league.

Presumably that would mean points for podium finishes or top 10s but riding a good race is about giving yourself a chance of winning and sometimes doing that means you finish nowhere.
    Marketability to the modern audience. It creates a package that you can sell to TV and a narrative to engage the viewer.

Cycling is still based on the same business model it had 30 years ago. And there are too many traditionalists that would rather see it die on the vine than evolve.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeVlaeminck
    We've had similar things before and they've never proved to have appeal. You could win that jersey with a series of 4th and 5th places having never stuck your face in the wind and tried to win a race.

The need to quantify who is the best classics rider in this way wont work because the best rides don't always mean crossing the line in the top few. That's why it will have no appeal, it's based on a misunderstanding of what bike racing is about. It's a sport, yes it's about the winning but also the battle to win, the glory, the panache - assigning points for a top 10 and adding them up wont make a champion.
  • Didn't we try this with the Pro Tour jersey?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    preview-diluca.jpg
  • We've had similar things before and they've never proved to have appeal. You could win that jersey with a series of 4th and 5th places having never stuck your face in the wind and tried to win a race.

The need to quantify who is the best classics rider in this way wont work because the best rides don't always mean crossing the line in the top few. That's why it will have no appeal, it's based on a misunderstanding of what bike racing is about. It's a sport, yes it's about the winning but also the battle to win, the glory, the panache - assigning points for a top 10 and adding them up wont make a champion.

that has cleared that up :idea:
  • DeVlaeminck
    We've had similar things before and they've never proved to have appeal. You could win that jersey with a series of 4th and 5th places having never stuck your face in the wind and tried to win a race.

Well you made such a strong argument for it after all.
  • We've had similar things before and they've never proved to have appeal. You could win that jersey with a series of 4th and 5th places having never stuck your face in the wind and tried to win a race.

Well you made such a strong argument for it after all.

Well I liked it and it was my topic
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Didn't Kelly win the Perrier sponsored version of this in 1989? It's possible that there were maybe one or two other things he'd rather have picked up that year...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    Whether or not a few 4th and 5th places can win you a Cup jersey depends entirely on how the points are weighted. If you weight them heavily for the podium, and even more so for the actual win, then whoever wins it will have been a True Champion TM. 100 for a win, 50 for a 2nd, 25 for a 3rd, 12 for 4th, 6 - 1 for 5th through to 10th. Something like that, but you can fiddle with the numbers until you find something appropriate.

Personally I like the idea, it would give people that are new to the sport an extra handle on the classics, which they could do with, having largely come from watching the Tour.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mm1 wrote:
    Didn't Kelly win the Perrier sponsored version of this in 1989? It's possible that there were maybe one or two other things he'd rather have picked up that year...

Think I can see why. This is the World Cup jersey from '89...

tumblr_lsk2rztxbe1r3xgd1o1_500.jpg