Louder Campagnolo hub - Miche or Ambrosio/Novatec?

holiver
holiver Posts: 729
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Like many, I too am considering a wheel upgrade. I currently have a set of older Campagnolo Khamsins on my Racelight, but like the idea of trying a wider rim and a larger tyre.

Anyway, the Campagnolo hub in the Khamsins is quite loud, which is good for commuting and letting people around me know I am there. Can anyone tell me which of the hubs out of the above are the loudest (if they are loud at all!)?

Thanks

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Neither... they both have three small pawls. If you want loud, you need Hope, which has 4 bigger pawls with individual springs.
    left the forum March 2023
  • holiver
    Thanks, I thought that might be the case! However, the cost of the Hope hubs alone is about how much I was budgeting.

I have seen the Hope wheel package with the Alpha 400 rims for £315 so will think further about those versus a build with the A23 or Archetype rims.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    If you don't want to go tubeless, then Archetype is a better rim. If you do want to go tubeless, then Stans is the better system.
    left the forum March 2023
  • holiver
    Thanks. Any thoughts on the Kinlin XC-279 rims? I may be able to get a pair for £70 shipped.

From what I have read they are generally well regarded, although not as light or as well finished as the Archetype.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    halo are also loudish and cheaper, but not as durable as hope.